News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Muffler placement, and such

Started by Hot_Rodder, November 07, 2007, 04:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would you run under your car?

Oval case
6 (75%)
Round case
0 (0%)
Square case
1 (12.5%)
nothing at all (like headers uncapped)
1 (12.5%)
other (please explain)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Hot_Rodder

I have a '72 Charger SE. I'm replacing almost everything it seems.... Putting a very strong motor in, stroker 440 running a 512 kit. I will be running headers and 3" exhaust system. I got these mufflers on a deal. I'd like to run them on my car, but the round case is bigger than what i thought.... I've included some pic's I took today of it sort of about where they would have to go. If I can't run these, then I will sale them off, and try and get an oval case for better fitment (I hope). The car has factory dual exhaust on it, so most of the hangers, if not all, are still there, but need to be replaced/upgraded if need be. I would like some opinions and feed back on this little problem. As you can tell in the pic's, the car is up off the ground, but I used two pieces of block (like what the car is sitting onin the back) sitting on top of each other (4 total), and sat them on the P195/75R14 tire and wheel (inflated) fora rough  height adjustment. The suspension is compressed by the cars weight being that I have the rear suspension resting on the blocks instead of the frame. I can probably move the muffler up roughly 1" and still have a little clearance between the muffler and floor pan, and also can move it roughly 1" back, maybe a little more and hopefully have enough room still between the guessed exhaust pipe location and rear axle.... I don't have the muffler dimensions, and the company no longer makes this muffler, they carry about the same thing, but it has a built in resonator, where as these don't. Anyway, questions, comments, concerns?

Hot_Rodder

the pic's

dukeboy_318

they look good, but i think that you should nix those and get something with an oval case for clearance issues. just my  :Twocents:
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

hutch

I went with a 3" glasspack and its mounted about that far back.  Make sure you have your pipes come off the header and past the k-memeber indents.  Thats where you will have clearance issues.  The rear should be ok.  Good luck on that car,  you got some rust work to do.  I would get that taken care of and rust bullet the bottom of your car before you put your exhaust system on.

:Twocents:
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Hot_Rodder

A lot of the rust stuff that you see on the body, is minor surface rust. As for under the car, well..... The shocks are going to be replaced, the leafs springs and all the hardware will be replaced, ect. The rear axle I'm gonna eventualy pull, blast it, and paint it. Last night I found out that the car has 3.23 gears with open carrier :icon_smile_dissapprove:. I was under the impression that the carhad 3.55 SG, guess not, but it eventualy will have that 3.55 SG set up.