News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission cooler

Started by 4aThrill, November 30, 2007, 08:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4aThrill

Can I hook up the transmission just to the cooler, or would this be to cold for the transmission? 

mally69

leeandgrant

YOU COULD, BUT PLUMBING IT THROUGH THE RADIATOR TRANSMISSION COOLING LINE THEN TO THE TRANNY COOLER THEN BACK TO THE TRANNY WILL ALLOW MORE COOLING ABILITY. THIS IS HOW I HAVE MINE ON MY 727.
1968 318 Charger
1969 440 General Lee
1970 440/4speed Super Bee clone Project
1968 383 Charger project
1969 charger parts car
1977 Plymouth Trailduster
2003 Dodge Hemi Ram
2009 Dodge Charger Super Bee SRT
2000 Dodge dually diesel

4aThrill

well that's what I kinda have it like now, but it will change after I get back from the paint shop. I have headers so I can not run the stock lines in the regular way. I ran the lines on the driver side of the frame rail to the transmission to the radiator and cooler and back again. I was just wondering has any placed a cooler on the frame rail or just put it back in the front by the radiator like before or have any other idea where to put one at?

leeandgrant

IT WILL NEED TO BE PLACED SOMEWHERE WHERE IT GETS FRESH COOL AIR OR IT WILL NOT BE FUNCTIONING 100%
1968 318 Charger
1969 440 General Lee
1970 440/4speed Super Bee clone Project
1968 383 Charger project
1969 charger parts car
1977 Plymouth Trailduster
2003 Dodge Hemi Ram
2009 Dodge Charger Super Bee SRT
2000 Dodge dually diesel

Steve P.

There are many trains of thought on this very subject. In a nut shell it really depends on your ambient temperatures. If you live where it gets or stays cold you want to use the cooler in the rad. to keep the tranny at a warm temp. If you live where it is predominantly warm you can run just the after market cooler.

There is one constant. The bigger your stall. The bigger you want your cooler..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Just 6T9 CHGR

I dont drive my car in the winter months so I bypassed the rad & I am just running through a B & M stacked plate type cooler..
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

As far as putting it on the frame rail, a lot of street rods do this out of necessity but as mentioned, it greatly reduces it's efficiency.  I believe you can get coolers with small fans on them which would help in a location with no air flow but it would still be a big compromise at best.

472 R/T SE

I'm doing like Chris.  I asked Ron about this and he said not running it in addition to the radiator was fine.  I would like to know what temps the tranny is running so may eventually run a discreet gauge.

4aThrill

thankx for the information, thats one of the reasons why I asked due to of the air flow under the car would the cooler get enough cold air or it would just some of it and some heat from the headers. but thankx for the information though.
:cheers: