News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

larger valve covers for a '68 440?

Started by Jim in LA, October 20, 2007, 10:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim in LA

My engine builder redid my 440 very nicely and it's running GREAT but with a small caveat - we used slightly larger lifters and now they're tap-tapping against the inside of the stock valve covers during operation. not so noticeable during idle but much noisier during higher RPMs (such as when driving).

my builder recommended getting larger covers (e.g. "billet" / aluminum covers) but i've not been able to find any. at the 70 board 472rt suggested that i double-up the gaskets for just an extra little height but after spending a LOT of money to have my engine bay look nicer than the outside of the car (for now, anyway, until i can afford the rest), i'm pretty reticent to try that.

anyone have any suggestions? thank you in advance.

jim in LA

Just 6T9 CHGR

I believe the MP cast aluminum valve covers are a bit taller than stock...  Thought about those?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

:iagree: The MP cast valvecovers are designed to clear big valve lifts. If you want a sheetmetal valvecover check out the 440 source website. Jim they are close to you (California).

Good to hear you got a fresh engine in the 70....i'm sure the low oil pressure problems are long behind you now.  ;)

http://www.440source.com/valvecovers.htm

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/bigblock.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger-Bodie

I took the baffles out of my stock valve covers ....cured that issue. :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

firefighter3931

Quote from: 1hot68 on October 21, 2007, 07:11:23 AM
I took the baffles out of my stock valve covers ....cured that issue. :Twocents:

Cheater !  :nana:  :lol:  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Jim in LA

ron and everyone - THANKS! so those mopar performance ones are taller, ay? i never knew that - always something to learn, for sure. i will order them immediately - the car is still being reassembled - this weekend the front clip goes back on and all the final setups are done. THEN it's back on the road - but ONLY after i get that tap-tapping taken care of. i don't want to hurt anything or mess up the lifter setups.

here's a shot of the engine bay:

and here's what i've done:

rebuild 440 - all american parts
rebuild 727 - all american parts
rebuild radiator
balance driveshaft
rebuild rear end (though it's coming out and i'm going to replace it with a dana)
rebuild braking system completely (though i'm upgrading to at least discs front very very soon)
powdercoat entire front suspension black (looks very bitchen)
complete new sets of bushings for front end
new shocks
new leaf springs rear
new driver/passenger floors to replace rusty sections
new trunk floor
new gas tank
new fuel lines
Linex entire undercarriage plus interior floor for sound control
clean and finish entire engine bay with ultimate body color (yellow, following the car's original yellow-black scheme)[/li]

boy, i'm sure there's something i've forgotten but that gives you a great idea of what's been going on with my 70 for the last 6 months. oh my god, it's been SIX MONTHS!

thanks to all for your help. i couldn't do this without you - especially you, ron. thanks as always.

jim in la

Jim in LA

by the way, that's an engine bay still in process (note it's not fully put back together).

and ron, YES, i now have 60psi on oil at all times - wow!   ;)

jim in la

Rolling_Thunder

what rocker arms ?   i had a RR in the shop with 1.6:1 rockers and a high lift cam...     hit on the mopar performance covers in a couple spots...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Blade

Judging by your pic, your valve covers need to be switched; they belong on the opposite side of where they are in the pic....

Jim in LA

blade - yeah, the builder put it on that way at first thinking it would be a shorter / better route for the pcv hose. he changed it shortly after this pic was taken. good catch!

HemiDave

Double the cork gaskets and be on your way! :icon_smile_tongue: :2thumbs:

Dave
68 Charger R/T 440, auto