News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

833 4 speed

Started by mally69, November 08, 2007, 08:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mally69

I have a chance to buy and 833 4 speed. More than likely its a 23 spline  Not the 18 spline.....      Is there any way i can put a new input shaft that has 18 splines i realize i would have to change the input bearing..   Im thinking about putting this behind the 512 instead of a 727  what do you guys think..

BrianShaughnessy

You can ask Jamie Passon or this Zbag.com dude but AFAIK,  the answer is no.     

Below is a pic of my friend Jack's X just about a second before he blew up his 23 spline at Mopars at LVD with a pair of slicks.   

I talked with Rick E.  trying to figure out if we could use his core for some sort of OD gear swap and the problem remains that we still needed an 18 spline to do anything like that.    In the meantime Jack bought another 23 spline at the show and threw it in till he figured something else out.   

If you want to drive like a pussy and never get traction then a 23 spline will live a long time.    It's all about weight and traction.    A 23 might live just fine in a A body.   I'm sure people have 23's that have run for years in heavy cars also...  I can't say I'd recommend it.

This just goes back around in circles anyway.     You have or want a big azz engine but what kind of trans are you gonna put behind it and after that what about your rear end?    You'll find the weakest link one way or another.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Rolling_Thunder

I have not broken a 23 spline trans yet...     that includes my ex-boss's blown 440 with 15" wide Mickey T's
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

tecmopar

As far as changing just the input shaft to an 18 spline, no, it won't work with the gears that are in there. The 23 spline trans is a very tough piece and will handle a lot of torque, granted not as much as an 18 sp. but still a strong trans. I've had customers run them behind 440's and Hemis for years without any problems.

mally69

well this will go behind about 680 hp and torque fairly close

tecmopar

That may be pushing it a little to far if your running some BIG meats in the rear or slicks at the track. The Factory rating on the Heavy duty 23 spline 4-speed was 550-600 ft. lbs in 4th gear, ( as opposed to other trannys that are rated in 1st gear ). Just a side note-- just about all 23 splines were designated as heavy duty, the 18 spline trans is called Severe duty, not in most books but in Chryslers own notes.

mally69

Ok, well is there any way to convert the 23 spline over to an 18 spline AND inner parts,,  if not im not going to waste my money buying it  ;)

Runner

well if you have to replace the cluster gear, all the mainshaft gears  ect  you might as well go with a 18 spline tranny from the start.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

mally69

Quote from: Runner on November 10, 2007, 11:04:25 AM
well if you have to replace the cluster gear, all the mainshaft gears  ect  you might as well go with a 18 spline tranny from the start.

Mine does need not need anything its 23 spline and has a big 416 painted on the side,, yea this is what i wanted to know, becuase i thought MAYBE there was a chance that all i needed to change was the front bearing and the input shaft and the colar around it... :shruggy: oh well  ;D

Chatt69chgr

A quick call to Brewer's Performance will yield all the answers you are looking for.   I've been on the phone a couple of times with them and they go out of their way to help folks. 

Note that Zumbrota Bearing and Gear is supplying complete 18 spline and 23 spline gear sets and they may be able to answer your questions too. 

From my conversations I think you are pushing it with the 23 spline.  I think I would go 18.

tecmopar

As stated above you can but just about everything New to make yours into an 18 spline, input pinion and gear set, shift forks, front bearing retainer for the 307 bearing and complete 1-2 and 3-4 synchro assemblies. You would use your case, side cover, reverse idler and output shaft. Most of this would be from Zumbrota but I have no idea about the quality of their gear sets. I just don't know of anyone that has used them yet so I can't say either way, good luck.

mally69

I just called brewer's perofrmance  i can't swap just the input shaft i would have to buy the entire guts inside  :icon_smile_blackeye:       i think id be better off beefing up the 727  :yesnod: