News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Max Wedge engine

Started by duo-stripe, December 05, 2007, 01:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duo-stripe

Hey there,
I was wondering if anyone can help me with info: first some specs of my engine;

- 426 Max Wedge shortblock, will get a strokerkit from Mancini ( approx. 488 c.i. )
- crossram intake with 2 750 edelbrocks, max wedge repro-aircleaners
- ( repro ) max wedge exhaust manifolds
- mopar performance ignition
- heads: 2463200   361/383/413    1963    2.08 1.60 unported with standard rockerarms
- 8 3/4 axle with 3.91 sure-grip
- manual transmission

what kind of camshaft would you recommend? It will be a streetdriven car. No problem if it is a little bit of a hassle to drive but it needs to be fairly streetable.
the car will not be raced on the track.
thanks for all the help,
sincerely, Marcel

p.s. thanks to Jack Rawlings, Louisville, for getting the car to Holland
MoPars overseas...<br />MoPars in the Netherlands

Challenger340

What C.R. Pistons in the stroker kit ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

max

Quoteheads: 2463200   361/383/413    1963    2.08 1.60 unported with standard rockerarms

the engine combo looks good but i would use a better set of heads. :Twocents:

firefighter3931

Quote from: max on December 06, 2007, 11:21:15 PM
Quoteheads: 2463200   361/383/413    1963    2.08 1.60 unported with standard rockerarms

the engine combo looks good but i would use a better set of heads. :Twocents:

:iagree: That motor will be all done by 4500rpm with those heads.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ACUDANUT

Ain't the 906 heads the best, outside of the aftermarket world which beyond most folks budget. !?*

RD

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 08, 2007, 01:01:02 PM
Ain't the 906 heads the best, outside of the aftermarket world which beyond most folks budget. !?*

definitively, the 915 head is the best in stock form (with the 1.74 valve), but all stock heads can be worked to flow really well.  mopar muscle did an article and you maybe surprised with the head that flowed the best out of all of them.  a good read.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/5115_cylinder_heads/index.html

here are the pics of the graphs:

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/5115_cylinder_heads/photo_01.html
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

duo-stripe

I can have the "200" heads ported; with portsizes matched to intake and exhaustmanifold; would this do so i can still use these heads? heads are nice; new valves, new double springs etc..so if i can save the money and use these that would be fine.
What kind of heads ( aftermarket ) do you otherwise recommend?
thank you,
MoPars overseas...<br />MoPars in the Netherlands

firefighter3931

Quote from: duo-stripe on December 14, 2007, 12:32:16 PM
I can have the "200" heads ported; with portsizes matched to intake and exhaustmanifold; would this do so i can still use these heads? heads are nice; new valves, new double springs etc..so if i can save the money and use these that would be fine.
What kind of heads ( aftermarket ) do you otherwise recommend?
thank you,

We need a little more info on this motor to help us help you.  ;)

(1) is the motor currently assembled
(2) does it have a crossram on it now
(3) if it does have a crossram....which one ? Factory max-wedge or aftermarket ?
(4) What size intake ports does the intake manifold have ?

There are LOTS of variables here....factory MW intake manifolds used a different sized intake port that won't bolt up to a standard 440 sized cylinder head. You need to be careful selecting parts or there will be a big mismatch when you go to assemble it.  :brickwall:

The small valve heads aren't suitable to a stroker....not enough port volume/flow to support the increased displacement. If you left the engine as a 426 it would work just ok but nothing spectacular.  :P The small valve early heads are pretty much at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to BB mopar cylinder heads....they need a lot of porting just to reach the "respectable" range.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

max

yeah, if that intake has the max wedge ports then you are going to be limited to max wedge port heads, which will be some what costly.