News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

best way to wire entire car

Started by AmadeusCharger500, February 13, 2006, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

Does anyone have advice on where to get all the harnesses and/or if one should use the painless harness.
I recently bought a 72 (challenger oops) and there are no harness except for the rear lights and dome light. Seeing as Year one wants 1/2k for just the underdash harness, I am thinking this might be a good time to learn how to use the "Painless" upgrade.
Anyone done this, have advice?
Does the Painless include the forward lights and engine. If not do they have separate harnesses for these sections?
If anyone has item numbers(for painless or equivalent), places to purchase etc I would greatly appreciate!

8WHEELER

I used the YO 20% off order number and got the big complete under dash harness for $420.00.
Took less than 5hrs to take out the old harness and put in the new one and start the car. As for
the other harnesses I have used the engine bay unit and it was perfect also. There are many people
selling these nowadays days, but like I said YO is not as bad as some say.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Shakey

I also have all brand new wiring from YO with the exception of the rear lamp harness which I made with my Father-in-Law.

New wiring, a definite must and money well spent.

AmadeusCharger500

A few years ago it seemed all the craze was "updating" the wiring in these cars. Concerns with overloading circuits from modern accesories like stereo, electric fan, modern headlights, etc. Do the Year One harnesses have any aspect of them that is updated and/or should one think about this when rewiring the entire car with the factory style harness?

PocketThunder

I have a "its a snap" wire harness and i'm going to re-wire my 68 in a couple weeks.  I'll try and take pictures as i go along.  Its the ZZ-20 harness.  all the wires are labeled where they go to.  should be pretty easy to do.

http://www.itsasnapwireandcable.com/

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

terrible one

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 14, 2006, 08:35:23 PM
I have a "its a snap" wire harness and i'm going to re-wire my 68 in a couple weeks.  I'll try and take pictures as i go along.  Its the ZZ-20 harness.  all the wires are labeled where they go to.  should be pretty easy to do.

http://www.itsasnapwireandcable.com/

Cool deal man! I would love to see the pics and description

phat69charger

Well I think any harness that has all of the options that you need or want to install in your car will fit the bill, the thing is to intergrate into the existing wiring, I plan on jumpiing from the factory bulk connector inside the car to a barrier terminal strip that way all of the factory plugs under the hood remain the same and you only would need to buy new under the hood harnesses, and all of the new wires inside can be done the same way to, through a barrier strip, that way you can tie right into the original wires.

http://www.surplussales.com/Electrical/TermStrip-1.html

Mefirst

I rewired my car the "Ol Skool way" in other words one wire at a time.. Big job, but it actually went much smoother than I thought at first, I just did one wire at a time... But my plan is to eventually redo the wiring one more time with a ready made harness cause I dont like the Mopar stock fuse box and Id like to get rid of the bulkhead connector..

/Tom

phat69charger

Here's a shot of a aftermarket harness installed and barrier strips in use

phat69charger

I'm about to rewire my Charger and I'm doing as I stated earlier in the post, I'll be intergrating in to the existing factory wiring using Barrier strips, here's some shots of the panel I had fabbed up for the 21 circuit universal harness I have, I'll keep you guys posted on the progress.

phat69charger

More pics, There's a  few more mounting holes that have to be drilled on the fire wall end and a slot for the wires from the bulk head connector to pass through.

phat69charger

Here's the Fuse panel painted up, it's made to match up with the three levels of the plugs from the Bulk connector and It will be pretty simple to wire by the four positions on each half of one plug, ABCD, EFGH, the barrier strip terminals are 12 positions rated at 35 amps for each postion they came from radio shack, I got to pull the E-brake lever out and clean it up, I was going to relocated my E-brake to the center console area like Norwaycharger did on his 68 to build up kick panel pods, did but that got changed and it's staying in the factory location and the pods will be made a little different than planned on both sides.

phat69charger

I think everyone can use this link if there rewiring anything in there cars, I found Molex plugs on parts express from 2 to 15 pin they fit wire size 18-22 Ga and you can also buy extra pins that come in that same size or a larger size 10-20 Ga wire, they look like the same ones painless wire sells: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&DID=7&CATID=21&ObjectGroup_ID=121

My friend pre wired my fuse panel up now I have to get the relays, split loom, switches, terminals and molex plugs to do the actual install

Here's a picture of what a Molex Connector if you don't know it by name

phat69charger

Here's some shots of the prewired fuse panel:

PocketThunder

Quote from: phat69charger on November 08, 2006, 07:54:12 PM

How is this project going Phat?

I was playing around with my itsasnap harness tonight trying to get the turn signals to work and its a pain in the ass..
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Upholstery guy

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 03, 2007, 11:39:11 PM
Quote from: phat69charger on November 08, 2006, 07:54:12 PM

How is this project going Phat?

I was playing around with my itsasnap harness tonight trying to get the turn signals to work and its a pain in the ass..

The wiring is not complete yet, because phat has yet to get the other components needed to finish, when he gets them I'll finish up the wiring.