News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can you replace the outer wheel house without removing the 1/4 pnl???

Started by AKcharger, September 19, 2007, 05:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

OK I'm sure you're wondering "why"...well I was running out of time/money during my 1st rebuild and had to do some "fabrication" to the housing instead of getting a housing and trying to ship it up to AK.  During the next rebuild I'd like to make a good repair but the 1/4 panel fits nice and I don't want to molest it if I don't have too. Yes the Pax side will have to be done completely, not worried about that, just the drivers side. To tell you the truth I thought I'd have to dig back into to the car just a few years after I finished it but its holding up so well I can wait for a bit

Thanks for any advice

dads_69

Bill, sorry to tell you, but no, not possible to do such repair like you are needing someday. Being a bodyman/painter myself,corners can be cut and you could cut quarter panel you have now and save it. It would just be much more work now is all, but it could be done.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

AKcharger

Darn! well I'll see how it's doing in a few years. It's working and there's no way to notice it...but I know it's there and it bothers me

Thanks

The70RT

Quote from: AKcharger on September 20, 2007, 07:10:43 PM
Darn! well I'll see how it's doing in a few years. It's working and there's no way to notice it...but I know it's there and it bothers me

Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much about it now. It will last for years unless you drive in wet weather often. As long as the quarter holds up you can always repatch the fender well if it don't
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bull

I have to agree with Mark, I seriously doubt you can do it. After seeing that all went into replacing mine on the drivers side I realized there's a lot going on with that outer wheel house; it's right at the heart of that whole structure and is attached to everything there. Getting it out without removing the 1/4 would be a lot like trying to walk through a door without opening it.

Here's a look at mine in process: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,9867.0.html

Silver R/T

the best way is to replace with repo part, they fit pretty good compared to something like you did. You save some time also.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

moparguy01

Quote from: AKcharger on September 19, 2007, 05:10:31 PM
OK I'm sure you're wondering "why"...well I was running out of time/money during my 1st rebuild and had to do some "fabrication" to the housing instead of getting a housing and trying to ship it up to AK. 
[/b]

hemi-hampton

I had to restore a 70 Cuda someone Earl Schiebed just before I got it, They threw on new 1/4 panels over a rusty Trunk, Trunk Ext & rusty inner wheel wells. I then had to put these new peices in with out damageing the newly applied 1/4's, not easy since they welded long beads of weld all along bottom of 1/4 to bottom of rusty trunk extensions, ect. :slap: :brickwall: LEON.

AdamMopar

I'm in the exact same type of situation.  Now it looks like our bad spots are similar.  I'm debating wether or not I could just cut out and replace the bad sections using part of the reproduction wheel housing.  Even if I had to cut the sections I need into two pieces to do I wouldn't have a problem with that.

I haven't had a chance to get under the car and see how tough it would be just to replace part of it.  I imagine it still may be impossible.

Adam