News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spring Difference?

Started by HeavyFuel, September 19, 2007, 12:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

I am in the middle of rebuilding my rear springs.  After popping the straps off of the right side spring, it became apparent that the main spring (the one that houses the bushings) was distorted and bent, when compared with the left one.

I have the 5 plus 2 half leafs on the right side, as was standard on the 440 and Hemi cars.  Can I use a main leaf from a 318 or 383 car, and use the rest of my original leafs to rebuild the right side spring?  Are all of the main springs the same curve and thickness, with the rest of the leafs making the diffence between the regular suspension and the hi-po suspension?

HeavyFuel

Twenty hits and no responses.......I guess everyone is stumped. :icon_smile_big:

The70RT

As cheap as new ones are I would rethink about using your old ones?  :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Steve P.

I agree. You are playing with 40 year old steal. For the price, why bother??  :shruggy:

Many companies make springs to replace yours for a few hundred bucks..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

cody9902

yeah man you can get them for 100 bucks a pack from mopar

kamkuda

Quote from: Steve P. on September 19, 2007, 04:38:11 PM
I agree. You are playing with 40 year old steal. For the price, why bother??  :shruggy:

I like going to a spring shop as they can not only fix your springs but they can set the ride height you desire. :2thumbs:

Steve P.

Quote from: kamkuda on September 19, 2007, 09:17:31 PM
Quote from: Steve P. on September 19, 2007, 04:38:11 PM

I like going to a spring shop as they can not only fix your springs but they can set the ride height you desire. :2thumbs:

I agree with you that a spring shop can set a ride hight. They can also repair a set of springs. BUT, having worked at a spring shop many years ago I don't have much faith in some of the people heating, arching and cooling the springs.  To me, this is a time that I rather have a timed robot doing the work.   This is not to say that all spring shops are bad or good, just that like so many things, it reallly depends on the person doing the work..   Sort of like all the engine shops around here. NONE of them are worth a crap. They can all put an engine together, just don't have the equipment to do it right...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Rolling_Thunder

I just had some springs de-arched 2" for a hemi challenger sitting in the shop...     guys did good work -

Yes - you can use the same main spring.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

HeavyFuel

Thanks, guys.

Upon closer inspection, I'll probably go with the after-markets.  After re-arranging the leafs and test fitting stuff, they just don't seem to fit together right.  I think all of the leaves from one spring bend and fatigue over time at the same rate, and to take the leaves from one spring and put them onto a main of another, they just don't fit right.