News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Problems installing the back seat in my 68, need help

Started by Dennis K, September 30, 2007, 05:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis K

I am almost done installing the interior on my car, I thought I would have the back seat in today, but I hit another snag. The rear seat back that I have doesn't seem to fit correctly. I have a pair of hooks for the top of the seat back, and another pair of hooks for the lower part of it, but when I install the bottom of the seat, it pushes up on the seat back enough to unhook it on the top. I need some way to hold it down. I have seen some seat backs that have bolts holding the bottom of the seat back, but my car wasn't built that way. Maybe my seat back is out of a car that had the bolts in it. I know it is not the original one for my car. Is this another early vs. late 68 differences? If this is the wrong seat for my car, what does the correct seat look like? Will I need to drill holes in my floor and add bolts in order to use the seat that I have? Does anyone have any pics of the bolt holes on the cars that used bolts? Thanks. Here are a few pics of what I have to work with.

keepat

Try pulling the bottom loops out so they will catch the tab at the bottom of fender
Pat

Dennis K

The loops on the bottom of the seat back line up just fine with the tabs on the wheel housing, the problem is that even with the loops on the tabs, there is enough play that when the seat bottom is installed, it pushes up on the seat back far enough to unhook it from the top hooks even when the loops are still hooked on the tabs on the bottom. Anyone know much of the seat back is supposed to be visible above the package tray when properly installed? I tried installing the seat back and pushing it down on the top hooks so there was about 1/2" of seat above the package tray and clamped it in place and then tried to put the seat bottom in and there's no way in heck it will go in that way. I know it's not supposed to be easy to hook the seat bottom in place, but with the seat back down that low it's a no go. Maybe my seat back frame is bent so the bottom loops and the parts that catch the top hooks are too far apart. I will figure something out. If nothing else I can extend the top hooks up so the seat back can't come off of them when the seat bottom is installed. Thanks.