News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear wheel/tire size, what is the correct size/backspace to fill the wheelwell?

Started by Lord Warlock, September 15, 2007, 11:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

I'm getting closer to the day when i'll need to order new wheels and tires for the charger r/t se.  Since the late 70s, the car has been riding on the 15 inch 6.5 inch wide aluminum slot mags, and the rear tires were L50-15 kelly super charger bias ply tires.  The 10.5 inch treadwidth looked great from behind, but to tell the truth, the rims were woefully undersized to accept the L50s at the time. 

I'd like to get 17 inch magnum 500 wheels from either stockton wheel or wheel vintiques, in as wide a wheel as will fit in the back.  Stockton's are 17x8, and I would have thought a 10 inch wide rim would be better in back, but never took the time to measure the wheelwell.  I figure the people on here have probably done it and have it memorized by now.  I want the rear tires to fill the rear wheel well, but not extend under or past the fender lip.  And not to rub anywhere they aren't supposed to on the inside.  The car is 100 percent stock as far as the body goes. 

What wheel and tire combo should i go with on the rear?  yes, i know that the slot mags look good to many, but with the yellow and black color scheme, the magnums would look better over all. 

Any other sources for 17 inch magnums would be appreciated, there have to be more than just two firms making them. 

Lord Warlock
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

suntech

Norwaycharger has 10x17, with 295/ 45 on, and that fills up nice!!! 4,5 backspace. He says that there is no rubbing !! here is a link to his website. He has done an extremly nic job on his car.      http://home.online.no/~arnhje/index.cfm            some of it is norwegian, but specifications etc is in english. Tons of pictures of the entire restoration.

Rolf
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

suntech

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

0X01B8

I made this a while ago just for this question, and to teach myself Flash programming - hope it helps.

http://vexer.com/68rt/wheelguide.html

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Lord Warlock

Has anyone priced the american racing rims yet? are they even available yet?
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

suntech

XV Motorsports will use 335/30-18 , on 12x18, with 6,5 backspace on their 68. That will fillĀ“em out!!