News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what's a numbers matching 383 66 charger worth??

Started by police1, September 16, 2007, 03:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

police1

hi. i have a chance to buy a 1966 charger. it has a good running 440 in it now but the original 383 goes with it. original interior in very nice shape. body has about 3-4 small holes and the rest is excellent!! perfect trunk.floor pans,frame rails.what does anyone think it is worth? thanks guys. i have never really thought much about the 66-67 chargers but this one is super solid!!!

Ghoste

Pics would help, if you can get any.  Is all of the exterior trim in place and in good shape?  Do the guages work, does the dash lighting all work, do the headlights rotate and close okay?  Headliner and interior pieces in good shape?

police1

hi ghoste. sorry your right. that was pretty vague of a description. everythgin works on the car. interior is excellent except for a little fade of the carpet. will need a paint job on it..

Brock Samson

police1

383 auto. on the floor. white with red interior...

John_Kunkel

What numbers on a '66 match to make it "matching numbers"?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TheAutoArchaeologist

I'm pretty sure there was no 383 in 66.  There was the 361 in 66.

Ryan

police1

the guy is asking $10,000 for it but i know he would probably come down on the price...

Ghoste

383 was the four barrel big block option and the 361 was the two barrel one.  The Hemi of course, was also optional and the 318 was the standard option.  However, Johns question is also correct.  The only numbers matching you could do would be to have date codes that precede the build on the car.
As to a value on it, hmmm, I'm gonna stick my neck out and say 5000.  :shruggy:

TeeWJay426

Quote from: police1 on September 18, 2007, 05:48:58 AM
the guy is asking $10,000 for it but i know he would probably come down on the price...

10K is high for needing paint. 'Numbers matching' is nothing more than proper date coding on the drivetrain components in a '66. If the headlight motors, gauges, and dashlights all work, that's a big plus, and the extra 440 doesn't hurt. Depends also on conditions of all chrome moldings, especially the pot metal ones, and the tail light lenses. In the abcense of any pics or additional info, I'd ballpark it at 6-7K.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Ghoste

Right, I forgot about the two engines.  What has been done to the 440?  Is the original 383 still a complete running engine?  Any other drivetrain changes?
10k still sounds high, I'm staying with my first guess.

Chargerfanatic

It also depends on how good the exterior moldings and tail lights are. It can start running into money when you replace the normal stuff that is bad on those car ie, tailight lenses, C moldings, headlight motors, cluster. I think Ghoste is in the ballpark. I think it might be worth 8-10 if it didn't needed body work. At least that is in Kansas. I sold my 66' 383 non running with alot of new parts and a ton of extra parts for $2700.

87 Shelby GLHS