News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ok what broke?

Started by Brightyellow69rtse, September 03, 2007, 07:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brightyellow69rtse

i was driving the car today it was running fine as usual. i stopped and went to turn around, i put it in reverse (4 speed car) and hit the gas a bit not just screwin around some and the car made a really loud noise and started hopping then immiediatly died. i looked underneith it saw nothing hanging out or anything like that. she took a min to get started again. now the clutch is all together different now then before this happened. theres about 2-3 inches of play at the top of the pedal. it seems to drive ok i didnt stress the clutch after this but now it grabs near the bottom of the stroke. 

at first i thought maybe the car was hopping across the ground, simply cuse i didnt gas it enough to spin the tires enough and the tires were grabbing some and causing the car to hop. (prolly dosent sound right but thats the best i can explain it).     but more i think about it since the clutch is way different now could i have broken something? pressure plate maybe or one of the fingers?   

im really not sure what the deal is i would imagain i shouldnt drive it as is. not sure when ill get a chance to pull it all apart to see what happened. as always feel free to voice your opinions in what happened or may have happened. oh and if this is a no brainer any advide on replacement parts?  :scratchchin:, thanks..............Mike

Steve P.

First I would be taking a good look at the tranny mount and the engine mounts. When you dump the clutch in reverse you are torquing the motor the other way lifting the pass. side motor mount. Also you are twisting the tranny the same. Your clutch linkage could have been bent of knocked out of whack during this.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

tecmopar

Yep, it does sound like something in the clutch linkage as Steve said, good luck.

Brightyellow69rtse

mmmmmmm ill have to take a look. can i simply bend them back or will they bend again really easily? i never had to mess with that stuff before so i really have no idea whats involved. im not scared to try it thats for sure  :2thumbs:if  can be rods be fixed or do they need replacing? thanks, Mike