News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 tail shafts

Started by Bandit72, September 03, 2007, 06:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

are the tail shafts on 727's interchangable? I'm putting  a tranny in an old truck i got but it has the short tail shaft, and my spare tranny is a long....is it just a matter of unbolting them and swapping?
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

RD

Quote from: Bandit72 on September 03, 2007, 06:59:02 PM
are the tail shafts on 727's interchangable? I'm puttingĀ  a tranny in an old truck i got but it has the short tail shaft, and my spare tranny is a long....is it just a matter of unbolting them and swapping?

no, its not that easy.  to switch from a short to a long, you will actually have to remove the front case "innards" as the output shaft is c-clipped to the front planetary and sungear.

I can do the switch, but you might as well overhaul the transmission at the same time as it will be torn apart.

you could just try and find a shorter driveshaft when putting in the long tailshaft transmission.  most often, you will need to get one cut to fit though, which is around 100 dollars for cut and balance, and 50 bucks for the ujoints.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Bandit72

hmm, i may not bother with it then, i paid 300 for the truck and drove the shit out of it....might just go searching for a new yard truck and save the 727 for a good core someday....i do still plan on having you come down when i build the tranny for the charger though  :cheers:

Steve P.

What is the old truck?? I have been thinking about doing an old truck... :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Bandit72

Quote from: Steve P. on September 04, 2007, 12:58:22 PM
What is the old truck?? I have been thinking about doing an old truck... :2thumbs:

nothing special, 77 1/2ton extended cab...rough body...i bought it mostly for the flatbed, then my daily driver ate a camshaft and i ended up driving this one....i need something alittle bigger (3/4ton) for my needs though and i'm looking at one of them friday...I beleive i have a pretty straight front clip from a 79 (stacked headlights) i was saving for a lil' red express clone one day if someone wanted to make this one nice but personally i wouldn't bother

Steve P.

77.... That's not old...   Hahaha...  I would like to find something in the 1935 range... That's old....  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Bandit72

Quote from: Steve P. on September 04, 2007, 01:22:00 PM
77.... That's not old...   Hahaha...  I would like to find something in the 1935 range... That's old....  :2thumbs:

if i had a 1935....it PROBABLY wouldnt' be a yard truck  ;) lol

i do have afew bits and peices of an old 1941 dodge wrecker laying around somewhere....

69 charger man

hey if you are going to junk it send me some pics first lol.... i have a 77 and may need a few parts for my truck.. thanks ray