News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 heater control valve rebuld kit.

Started by y3chargerrt, September 01, 2007, 02:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y3chargerrt

I'm looking to see if theres a rebuild kit available for the 69 heat control valve with a/c.I thought I remember a post about this in the past with the kit information listed. I searched without any luck.

burnt69

I got mine at napa #6601000 it's 1 round rubber gaskit, but it fixed mine.

y3chargerrt

Chatt69chgr

The heater control valve assembly consists of a stamped steel plate with a brass tube assembly swaged to it.  Of course, you bolt the plate to the firewall.  68's and 69's were cable operated while the 70 has a little vacuum acutator to operate it.  The gasket referred to from NAPA goes between the brass pipe assembly and the steel plate.  The brass pipe assembly has four tabs that project through the steel plate and are bent over.  You have about one shot with those tabs before they break off.  And, unfortunately, there is one other rubber piece that you won't be replacing since nobody sells it and thats the piece that goes on the end of the rod inside the brass tube that performs the actual valve action (the other end comes through the rubber gasket you get from NAPA).  Replacing the gasket will stop the leaks into the passenger compartment but won't completely fix the heater valve assembly and more than likely you will not be able to disassemble this part again successfully.  My recommendation is to send it off to Jim Tucker, 29597 Paso Robles Road, Valley Center, CA 92082.  He's at 780-749-3488 or jthcv@juno.com.  He has a supply of the "other unobtainable rubber piece" and will completely rebuild your heater control valve for $125.  Least ways, that's what he charged me a couple of years ago.  Don't ask him to buy just that rubber part.  Attaching it is not just a matter of pushing it on and he doesn't have a very big stock and when they are gone, they are gone.  I talked to him on the phone and he is a kind of funny guy.  I think people try to call him up and pump him for info and then try to buy the parts for nothing so they can attempt to fix these themselves.  So he's a little standoffish as it were.  Note that this assembly was never ever meant to be rebuilt.  It's too bad that you can't get it anymore.  I will note that I think I saw rebuilt ones for sale from Classic Auto Air in Florida.  Don't know if they still have them.  They were not cheap.  I have seen people that engineer a replacement for this part.  They just bring the lines on through the firewall and hang a valve assembly inside the engine compartment.  I saw some of these done at a car show I went to.  So if you are not doing a detailed restoration there is definitely another way to skin the cat as they say (no offense to any cat lovers out there).

y3chargerrt

Thanks for the replys. I figured it wasnt that easy to rebuild. I was going to call Classic Auto Air to get a rebuild prices but found an NOS one on E bay with the buy it now prices of $199.99!! Brads NOS wanted $489.99 for it.I checked the guys Ebay store and he doesnt have anymore 69 vlaves listed. He doea have a Rance valve for a 70 for a buy it now price of $179.99.