News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Plumbing ? outside faucet leaking

Started by hemi68charger, August 21, 2007, 07:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

hey gang...
Before I jump into this for I don't have much time, fixing the leak on this thing, is it difficult. The leak is coming out the knob shaft. I'm assuming there's some sort of o-ring or seal in there.. I want to install an automatic faucet timer, but doing so, the valve is turned on all the time. This faucet though leaks... Soo, I would have a leak 24/7...

Thanks in advance...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Slowpoke

There is an o-ring on the shaft thats whats leaking.
But since it appears the faucet is screwed onto the pipe and
not soldered I would just buy a new one.

They are inexpensive and not worth trying to repair most times
due to corrosion.

68 R/T LL1
under restoration for the last 25 years

Charger74

Quote from: Slowpoke on August 21, 2007, 07:20:54 AM
There is an o-ring on the shaft thats whats leaking.
But since it appears the faucet is screwed onto the pipe and
not soldered I would just buy a new one.

They are inexpensive and not worth trying to repair most times
due to corrosion.

What he said.  I have to do the same thing on my two faucets as well.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Troy, have you tried tightening the nut at the base of the shaft?  Sometimes these loosen up & a good ΒΌ turn will stop the leak.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

41husk

I had that problem after the first winter, installed a valve that has a shut off in the house, I can shut it off before the first freeze or if I am going to be gone.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: 41husk on August 21, 2007, 10:57:41 AM
installed a valve that has a shut off in the house, I can shut it off before the first freeze or if I am going to be gone.

I think that's building code up here. If it's not, it's a great idea for any climate.

41husk

it's a little frustrating when you forgett it's off and try to use the faucett :brickwall:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

dodgecharger-fan

That's better than forgetting to turn it off in the fall and wake up in the middle of a January night wondering who the heck is running water at 3 AM!

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

The70RT

You need a long frost valve type. When shut off it shuts off in the house where it is warmer. They make several legnths. I used 12" or 14" I believe. I still had a few inches left after running it through the layers of the house. Here is a pic just to let you know what I mean from my basement.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

tommymac

He,s right,but that old valve is souldered on to the 1/2 copper pipe. You nee to replace the whole thing with a frostpruf silcock,you can buy a 12 incher with a sharkbite fitting and not have to soulder any fittings.TMC plumbing and heating.

Old Moparz

I bet Troy gets a lot of frost in Houston.   :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

The70RT

I didn't realize where he was.........that's why he never had one :slap: - to me.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BMOTOXSTAR

Very easy, had to do the same thing myself. :yesnod:
It does look to be threaded on, get a new one at the hardware store for under $10, then get 2 adjustable wrenches and some white thread tape. :yesnod:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

tommymac

its not threaded on when you can see the threads. Its souldered on mabey with a shut off inside.