News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

904 tranny rebuild

Started by busteed, August 28, 2007, 10:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

busteed

Just going through my 74 charger.  I am currently pulling the motor and tranny.  I am replacing the 318 with a 360.  Without going through all the engine specs....around 350-375 HP range.  I am going to use the 904 tranny with the 360.  The Tranny is the original and worked pretty good before I started the tear down process.  I realize that I should probably go with the 727 with the build, but I have a budget to try to follow.  I want the 904 to be gone through and cleaned up before I re-install into the car.  Given the fact that I am using the 904, what should I have done to it by the tranny shop as far as the overhaul and rebuild goes.  I plan on using the car just for fun on the street and not the drag strip. 

Plumcrazy

Have them do a complete rebuild using high performance friction materials and install a shift kit and deep tranny pan.  It'll hold up fine.  

I'd also recomend switching to the low gear set too.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

chargerbr549

To add to what Plumcrazy said you should be able to get the low gear set out of a 1980 1/2 and up 904 tranny, they started putting in low gear sets to compensate for using such tall gears in the rear ends for fuel economy. The older trannys had around 2.45 ratio, the newer low gear sets were 2.77 ratio. You should be able to goto your nearest salvage yard or tranny shop and pick them up.

Kevin