News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 headliner installation and driver's door jamb decal questions

Started by WH23G3G, June 18, 2007, 09:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

Ok, I've got my interior totally stripped out. The floor pans are solid, no unexpected rust holes. Only holes are the ones the previous owner drilled for his minivan bucket seats which are now gone and an original type bench seat will go back in. Now I've got my jambs and everything painted that would affect the interior. I've got all the front sheet metal back on, minus the bumper, waiting to get it rechromed. So I want to go ahead and put in the headliner and even the carpet. I started from the front bumper and now I'm in the middle, interior time. I've done the door panels the best I could in light parchment. They don't look show quality, but will be fine for a cruiser. They don't look too bad. How hard is it to install a headliner? I know I have the Mopar Muscle issue where Year One installed the headliner on the 71 Roadrunner. Basically same interior. The stated it wasn't a difficult job. Mines 4 bows, and I'm going with the Sandalwood color from Legendary Auto, I guess would be the closest to the Light Parchment interior. My sail panel board are nice, but what about that cardboard backing behind the sail panels. Do I need to have that there? It's all crumbled. I'm also missing a few details for the door jambs. I need door bumpers, which I can't find individually and I need the tire decal for 1973, which I haven't seen in Year One's or the Paddocks catalog. Any ideas where those can be found?

moparguy01

headliners arent real hard. just real time consuming. and take alot of effort. find the center of it, then put it in the bows, then start stretching. the windshield needs to be out on third gens i beleive, but i'm not positive.its much easier with it out anyways. but its not bad

Nacho-RT74

eeeehm about headliner... is really easy but need cares and patiente.

first you need to get measured the roof &/or the bows. Headliner is LOOT WIDER than the roof itself, so same the bows loops on headliner. You need to make a cut on loops, this cut will be used to bows leaves the loop and hook on to roof holes. The cut the excess of headliner.

Once done this and mounted you need to stretch the headliner, starting hooking the retainers wires on rear with last bow. After hook this retainers start to hook from front hooking on top front windshiedl and A pillar area, to rear stretching as much as posible to keep the rear retainers on position. Then sides with the headliner C clips, and finally rear glass area and C pillars.

you don't need to remove glasses. "nails" where you hook the headliner are inside the cab.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE PATIENTE don't do it.

I never have read about methods, so what I exposed is what I learn making it by myself.

About the cardboard sail panel... dunno. You must have SE Charger and mine is hardtop what uses a plastic molded sail panel. headliner box comes with extrra material to recover sunvisors and sailpanel. Never have seen personally a SE. Probably you are talking about the isolation carboard and material. clipped on to Cpillar. There are kits to replace all insulation on car.

Bumper doors. Never have seen on restore dealers selling by pieces, just kits. I got mines from a auto parts dealer on a gas station :D

Tire decal... pretty sure YO, Paddock and similars carries them. If not, then try autobodyspecialties. They carry body parts and also weatherstripping and decals

about the decals and bumper
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

rudyjrusa

i have a manual sunroof - i only have 2 bows - i am not how to place material onto sunroof - is it only glued to metal - i do not see any clips.  need help???

jwc

I have a 73 SE. I put my headliner in myself.First your interior has to be clealr no seats.put the liner upside down on the roof of the car in the sun if posible this will help get the wrinkles out from being folded in the box. Slide the bows through dont mix them up.Put liner inside car there should be wire that attaches to the front and rear bow to hold them up.It goes from the windshield area in the front and the rear window in the back.Feel across the top of the front and back windows for barbs they are sharp.Pull the liner forward and place on the barbs start in the center and work your way out if you see a wrinkel redo it.Dothe same with the back.You should see barbs at the sail panels do the same thing there.This is the hard part because this takes a lot of pulling and stretching so you dont have any wrinkles.On the sides pull it tight and place the clips on to hold it.Then take you time and Imean take your time and trim it.I used a razor blade.
73 Charger

WH23G3G

This sounds intimidating to do. I don't want to mess up a headliner that I still have yet to receive and cost me $70. The Mopar Muscle article did it on a 71 Roadrunner at Year One, and said that it was fairly simple procedure that could be done in a day. Mine's 4 bows. and I still have all the bows in the old one laid out on the ground. I ordered a Sandalwood headliner from Legendary Auto and it's been probably 3 weeks and haven't heard nothing from them. I also noticed when I removed the old headliner from the right rear it's missing one of the listing wires. Wear can I get one?

jwc

Dont be intimidated by anything on the car.Just take your time its not like you have to have it ready tomorrow.Look the whole project over think about what you are doing get the finished picture in your mind.If you run into a snag stop walk away come back later with a fresh mind .Just keep in your mind that it does not have to be done today.A head liner is not that hard just take your time.What makes you think that a shop could do a better job then you.Because they may have installed a few more.Well before anybody became an expert there was always a first one.
73 Charger

T16

Began to mount my hedaliner on my 72 today. The listing pockets where the bow slides in needs to be trimmed.. How do I know how much..?

AKcharger

So how do the bows come out pull down, slide back pull to one side?