News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

purple heart

Started by 68chrgrwife, August 12, 2007, 12:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chrgrwife

I got this from our very own Jackie...I am not taking credit for finding this one.....

Artist Mows Giant Purple Heart Into Field

Posted: 2007-08-06 06:19:30

Filed Under: Nation News, Weird News

HAMPTONBURGH, N.Y. (Aug. 5) - An artist has mowed an 850,000-square-foot rendering of a Purple Heart medal into a park field to honor the 75th anniversary of the medal that commends servicemembers killed or wounded in action.

Photo Gallery: Tribute on the Green
Daniel Morel, AP

Field artist and painter Roger Baker mowed an 850,000-square-foot image of a Purple Heart medal into a lawn at Thomas Bull Memorial Park in Hamptonburgh, N.Y., Sunday.

A. Y. Owen, Time Life Pictures / Getty Images

The project honors the 75th anniversary of the medal, a commendation for U.S. servicemembers killed or wounded in action.

Daniel Morel, AP

The artist based the 1,000-foot-long piece on a photograph of the medal awarded to Art Livesey, a Marine Corps veteran who was wounded at Iwo Jima. Source: AP

The rendering, to be unveiled Sunday in Thomas Bull Memorial Park in this city 55 miles northwest of New York City, was done by field artist and painter Roger Baker, whose past works include the Statue of Liberty and Elvis Presley.

According to Baker, the project followed a chance meeting with Bill Bacon, membership director of the Military Order of the Purple Heart. After meeting with officials from The National Purple Heart Hall of Honor and Orange County parks, the plan was on.

The New Windsor Cantonment, in what is now Orange County, was the final encampment of the Revolutionary Army. To honor the service of select troops, Gen. George Washington presented a small purple cloth Badge of Merit - the precursor to the Purple Heart medal.

In 1932, the Purple Heart was awarded to 150 veterans of World War I. The National Purple Heart Hall of Honor opened in New Windsor in 2006.

Baker's design was based on a photograph of the medal awarded to Art Livesey, a Middletown, N.Y., Marine Corps veteran who was wounded at Iwo Jima.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

2007-08-05 17:34:08

MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

68chrgrwife

maybe Jackie can post the pics.....For some reason I can't!
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

71ChallengeHer

Here you go. :2thumbs:

Lowprofile

WOW! That is Amazing! Great story, Thanks Ladies! :2thumbs: :patriot:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

68chrgrwife

Thanks Jackie...For some reason I couldn't get that pic up there.  I loved the story and had to share though. 
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

last426

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on August 12, 2007, 12:14:27 PM
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

I like the post and the art work on the Purple Heart but I am most intrigued about posting the Copyright warning.  Isn't that kinda like throwing a "Do not litter" sign out of the window? Kim

Drache

Quote from: last426 on August 12, 2007, 08:58:50 PM

I like the post and the art work on the Purple Heart but I am most intrigued about posting the Copyright warning.  Isn't that kinda like throwing a "Do not litter" sign out of the window? Kim

The copyright is for other papers or online news sites so they cant just copy the info.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

68chrgrwife

Quote from: last426 on August 12, 2007, 08:58:50 PM

I just copied my whole e-mail forgot to leave that out..LOL
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

Really?

Nice. My buddy Toby has a purple heart- got shrapnel in his left shoulder and arm in Kuwait(1991), ended his days as a Marine sniper. Me? Closest I got was a bedouin in a p/u trying to cut across 3 lanes to the highway exit in Bahrain. Hit our car (9c1 Caprice), push it into those huge cement (flower?) pots and other vehicles, then richocheted up one of the pots and flipped back onto the highway. We got out, dug the grandpa and his grandson out and got commendations for it. Got scars on both knees from it, early/honorable discharge, and never looked back.

USAF  2750 TFW, RAF Lakeneath England

68chrgrwife

Quote from: Really? on August 15, 2007, 01:39:06 AM
Nice. My buddy Toby has a purple heart- got shrapnel in his left shoulder and arm in Kuwait(1991), ended his days as a Marine sniper. Me? Closest I got was a bedouin in a p/u trying to cut across 3 lanes to the highway exit in Bahrain. Hit our car (9c1 Caprice), push it into those huge cement (flower?) pots and other vehicles, then richocheted up one of the pots and flipped back onto the highway. We got out, dug the grandpa and his grandson out and got commendations for it. Got scars on both knees from it, early/honorable discharge, and never looked back.

USAF  2750 TFW, RAF Lakeneath England

wow, that is amazing.  Sorry to hear no purple heart out of all that.  Hubbywas close to getting one this time around, but they claimed that secondary shrapnel doesn't count...I would think it would.  My great grandpa got a purple heart with cluster due what is called a grape shot way back in some war.  I have possesion of it and several other medals of his and my grandpas.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

Really?

Thanks, but we atleast laugh about the whole thing...it was a bizarre car wreck and to go to Saudi to do it! Battles going on and you might get snuffed in a Chevy driving back from a meeting to an airfield. Toby even laughs about his shoulder because he has a feeling that it was friendly-fire; you'd be amazed at how often it happens- Pat Tillman, the Brits who got killed by one of our gunships in '91. Heck, training exercises such as the old REFORGERS (Return of forces to Germany) they calculate an average of deaths and damages into the costs.

Charger_Fan

That's a cool story, that lawn mowing is very precise too! :o

"Really", I'm glad you & your buddy are still around to tell about it. Thanks to you both for your service! :patriot:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)