News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much vacuem should I have with a stock cam in a 360....

Started by bandit67, August 01, 2007, 07:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit67

Guys, I just rebuilt and installled a budget 360 . The cam used is a Summit K6901,218/228 dur. at 50, .441/.441 lift  Reading manifold vacuum at vacuum tee for the power booster , the most I can adjust to is 14 inches at idle.  I had set the timing at 12 degrees BTDC and have adjusted the idle mixture screws to give me the highest reading.........14 inches.  The carb is a 73 model  TQ that was my first at reworking and seems to be working just fine. Will that low a vacuum cause the TQ to need some readjustments for best results?

Plumcrazy

That doesn't sound too far out of line for that cam.  It does have more duration than the OEM 360 cam.   Also remember, for every 1000 ft above sea level you are you lose about 1 inch of vacuum.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

bandit67

Being in Ga. at 900 feet, I am use to seeing 21-22 inches with my stock Chevys. This seems really low even for this duration cam to me. Seems to be working the power brakes ok , so guess it will just have to be........thanks......J

Plumcrazy

Quote from: bandit67 on August 01, 2007, 01:19:24 PM
Being in Ga. at 900 feet, I am use to seeing 21-22 inches with my stock Chevys. This seems really low even for this duration cam to me. Seems to be working the power brakes ok , so guess it will just have to be........thanks......J

I only see 18 -20 inches in modern cars here at about 1000 ft.  :scratchchin:

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.