News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

You guys ain't gonna believe this! UPDATE!

Started by Afflyer, May 25, 2007, 08:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afflyer

While I was TDY to Reno, Nevada, last week, my wife calls me and asks me if she could move the Charger in the garage so she could gain access to the attic.  I said no problem, the keys are in the kitchen.  I stayed on the line while she attempted to get the Charger started and after she did, she put it in drive and began to slowly pull her out of the garage.  She got it out a few feet and then put her foot on the brake- but then she screamed; "AIEEE- NO BRAKES- OH MY GOD!"...I didn't fret, as she was just creeping along at a turtles pace a few feet. 

She got her stopped and proceeded to tell me the brakes broke.  I just laughed and thought nothing more of it, as she never drives the Charger in the first place, and is quite used to all four power disc brakes on the Volvo, and not the all drum- no power brakes on the Charger. 

No problem right?

Well, when I got home, I jumped into the Charger and was shocked to find out she was right.

The brake pedal was literally DANGLING under the dash.  You could swing the pedal like a pedulum on an old clock!  I got down under there and discovered that the push rod that the brake pedal drives into the master cylinder was HACK WELDED like some terrible shade-tree mechanic job.  Hell's bells! I could've been hard-charging it down highway 98 at over 60 MPH and have to stop for a red light and this rod snap on me!!!!  :o  I shudder to think of the outcome!

So now, I ask the experts here.  I think this rod is part of the master cylinder assembly, so do I need to purchase a whole new master cylinder?  Or can I find this connecting rod by itself?

Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

Bradley
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

70charger_boy

It's not part of the master cylinder, but that rod pushes the pistons in the master cylinder.  You can just buy the rod

Ghoste

And tell your wife to go buy a lottery ticket.  :icon_smile_wink:

41husk

Yep! sounds like the Mopar gods are watching over you.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Charger_Fan

WHEW! :o I thought you were gonna say she put the Charger through the garage wall. This is a much better outcome than I anticipated. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Afflyer

It also explains why I had a D E E Dead battery too!  With that actuating rod broke, it released the brake light switch (she obviously didn't see the brake lights against the back wall), and it completely drained my battery while I was gone too.

That is replaced, though the negative terminal is still disconnected until I find that friggen brake pedal rod. 

I've got an APB out in salvage yards all across the nation (via the internet) for that part.  Talk about casting a WIIIIIIDE net!

I'll let you know how it goes with the search.

Bradley

2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Charger-Bodie

i think master power brakes offers new push rods !
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Afflyer

With much thanks to Troy, I have repaired my brake push rod problem, with a correct M/C push rod!  Again, thanks Troy you ROCK!

Although, I must say, as I lay underneath the front end of the Charger with the wife pushing down on the brake pedal, I got a good look at my bushings, tie rod ends, etc...and they are literally ROTTEN  :eek2:.  I really need to replace the whole front end.

First thing I need to buy are a new pair of anti-sway bar brackets, as I cracked one of mine a few months ago.

Anyone know where I can get a pair?

Bradley

2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

acharger68

Afflyer, I have a sway bar bracket,driver side only since I needed the pass. side. This was for a 68. I don`t know what year your car is. If you need it give me a shout . acharger68@insightbb.com
Mopar To Ya !! :drive:

AKcharger

dkn1997

If you make any enemys, you should have the wife start tasting your food for you too. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
RECHRGED

kamkuda

Don't forget the little retainer for the pushrod.  These are for manual brakes like yours.

If you do not have one you can get them from places like magnumhp or Doctor Diff.
http://www.magnumhp.com/brakes.php  scroll 2/3 down the page.