News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

gas tank installation

Started by mcain, July 23, 2007, 12:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcain

New guy here... have a 66 charger with no gas tank. Not sure how to even install a new one?  any one know of a website with instructions?  I have found plenty of online stores to purchase the tank, accessiories and straps ect but no one had instructions.

Thanks in advance!

Chatt69chgr

I think you just bolt it in.  There is a pad made out of tar paper that goes on top.  If you paint it, you won't have rust or corrosion as soon.  The straps use j bolts I believe.  The easiest way to figure it out would be to go to the nearest junkyard and take a look at any old mopar.  They are all probably the same.

terrible one

Not sure on a '66, but on the 2nd gens it's basically like Chatt69chgr said. There are two metal straps that support the tank, each of them hooking to points at the rear of the car, and then attached (and tightened) via j-bolts toward the front of the car (around the rear-end). I'm no expert, but it should be as simply as putting the sending unit in, hooking it up, placing the tank and securing it with something, bolting in the straps, and then tightening the nuts on the j-bolts until it's secure.