News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Summer Vacation

Started by Shakey, July 16, 2007, 07:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

Hi Everyone - nice to see you all again.   :wave:

I can see by the Carlisle threads and photos, many of you had a good time there - I would have liked to have joined you but I had already made other plans earlier in the year.

I just got back from my summer vacation and thought I'd share a few photos with you.  As I've done in the past with some of my business travel - if you would you like, try and guess where we went.

I've chosen a few photos (out of the 800 + we took   :image_294343:  [you've gotta love the digital camera however I'll need a few days to weed out and delete the seconds and thirds as well as the blurry ones]) of some of the buildings and statues we saw and you can try and guess where they are located.  I don't think it'll be too difficult and as always, a virtual beer to the winner.   :cheers:

I'll then post a few more photos that are more obvious as we saw some beautiful sights.

I'd also be interested in hearing about your summer plans and what you've done or plan on doing with your family this summer.  Feel free to post photos.   :yesnod:

Shakey

:scratchchin:

nh_mopar_fan

I'll take, "Was Shakey in Paris?" for $100, Alex.

PocketThunder

I was gonna guess somwhere in Europe.   :scratchchin:  Guess i need to get out and travel sometime before i die.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Shakey

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on July 16, 2007, 08:18:08 AM
I'll take, "Was Shakey in Paris?" for $100, Alex.

:cheers:

The fifth and sixth photos are from Paris.

The fifth photo is of Basilique du Sacré-Cœur in Paris.  You can read more about it here if you wish. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_the_Sacr%C3%A9_C%C5%93ur

It's in a great neighbourhood above Paris with some excellent spots to stop and have a few beers.

The sixth photo is from a river cruise on the Seine, the river that runs through Paris.  What you're looking at is one of the four statues that corner the Pont Alexandre III bridge.  The photo below is of the statue on the centre of the bridge.  This bridge was built between 1896 - 1900.

I guess I'll be giving out a few more beers as there is a few different answers to the original question.

Any other guesses?

69Coronet

Its no disgrace being poor.  Its just inconvienient.

dodgecharger-fan

Richmond Hill?

:icon_smile_big:

Nice shots Shakey. It must have been a great vacation.

Ponch ®

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 16, 2007, 08:42:29 AM
Guess i need to get out and travel sometime before i die.

Me too, i guess...but I don't really get the 'traveling' thing. Seems kinda pointless to me to spend tons of $ and travel thousands of miles to go look at stuff , get to say you were there, and take pictures. I don't care how historic or ancient it may be. I ain't knocking it, but it doesn't do anything for me. I have a friend who just got back from 6 weeks in Europe...and she sold her car to get $$ for the trip. I just don't think I could ever be that compelled to go anywhere. Maybe it's 'cause I lead relatively simple life and I can pretty much get anything I could possibly want (as far as international flavor) living in L.A. Maybe I oughtta try it tho...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Shakey

Quote from: 69Coronet on July 16, 2007, 10:08:38 AM
London

:cheers:

The first photo is a partial shot of the Houses of Parliament in London.  Below is another more complete photo although the pictures hardly do it any justice.  BTW - This is the newer version as there was a fire in 1834 and they spent 30 years rebuilding the new building(s).

The second photo is of the Albert Memorial.  A statue of Prince Albert who who died in the mid 1800's, put there by his Wife, Queen Victoria in 1875.  Here is another shot where you really can see the sheer size of this beautiful piece of work.

It is located in Kensington Gardens, not far from Kensington Palace which is the building in the third photo. 

This was Princess Diana's official residence and has been in the Royal Family since 1689.  Also in Kensington Gardens is the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Playground.  My Wife and I figured that we had put our two little ones through enough touring around London that it only be fair that they have some time for themselves in the park.  It was a nice break from the city streets.  Plus there were some pretty hot mom's hangin' around and I ended up chatting with another Canadian woman who now lives in London with her husband.  I wish I could have gotten a photo of her for you fellas.

Still wondering if someone is going to get the last ones figured out - photos 4, 7 & 8 from the original post.   :shruggy:

Shakey

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on July 16, 2007, 01:20:17 PM
Richmond Hill?

:icon_smile_big:

Nice shots Shakey. It must have been a great vacation.

I haven't been to Richmond Hill for a number of years - perhaps I'm due for a visit soon.   ;)

And yes, it was a fantastic vacation with memories that will last a lifetime.

Shakey

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 16, 2007, 01:32:55 PM

Me too, i guess...but I don't really get the 'traveling' thing. Seems kinda pointless to me to spend tons of $ and travel thousands of miles to go look at stuff , get to say you were there, and take pictures. I don't care how historic or ancient it may be. I ain't knocking it, but it doesn't do anything for me. I have a friend who just got back from 6 weeks in Europe...and she sold her car to get $$ for the trip. I just don't think I could ever be that compelled to go anywhere. Maybe it's 'cause I lead relatively simple life and I can pretty much get anything I could possibly want (as far as international flavor) living in L.A. Maybe I oughtta try it tho...

I've always considered traveling and exploring the same thing.  Since I was a young child, I enjoyed exploring the neighbourhood I grew up in, the parks and fields offered endless hours of fun seeing things that I didn't see in my own backyard.  I'd come home and tell my folks about what I saw, what I learned and what I learned to avoid.  There were places I enjoyed so much that I couldn't wait to get back to and other places that I had seen that I knew it was no big deal if I ever went back.

As I grew older I ventured farther from home.  Whether it was on my bicycle as I approached my teenage years or in my later teens and early twenties, in a car with some buddies to Montreal, Detroit, Chicago, New York or any other place that was different from where we were at.  We'd seen the bar scene in our hometown and although Toronto is the fifth largest city in North America with lots to do, heading out to a different city to do the same type of thing we'd do on our weekends here was kinda cool.

As my buddies and I got older, had jobs and made some bread we ventured even further, now via the airlines to the Carribean, Mexico and numerous parts of Canada and the United States.  This type of exploring is starting to get kinda cool!

It wasn't long after that that I met my girl, now my Wife, and I had a new traveling partner, someone else I'd like to explore with.  We started off just like I did with my buddies, a few road trips here and there eventually working our way to bigger and better trips to visit parts of the world that we found intriguing.  We now have two children that we enjoy exploring with and plan our trips to include them and their interests.

I've always enjoyed learning about the history of the world we all live in and if I can take an opportunity to go and visit historical sights first hand, take some photos, share them with some family and friends than by all means I will.  I will not do this unless everything else is in order as in I certainly wouldn't be selling anything to go on a vacation or use my credit cards to finance the trip.  That is not how things work at our house.  We plan on another vacation towards the end of the summer that will be completely different from this one.  I'll be sure to post pics of that one also and it certainly won't be meant as braggadocio, simply sharing experiences with you folks.

I know that I've got a number of years on you which means we are at different stages in life.  Perhaps one day if you do choose to settle with the Nubian Princess, your outlook may change.  You may have children and you may want to to teach them about the world we live in and yes LA is a great start but there is a lot to see and it sure can be a lot of fun doing it with the ones you love.

Trust me - get out and see the world if you can - you won't be disappointed.   :yesnod:

Ponch ®

Quote from: Shakey on July 16, 2007, 02:54:46 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on July 16, 2007, 01:32:55 PM

I've always considered traveling and exploring the same thing.  Since I was a young child, I enjoyed exploring the neighbourhood I grew up in, the parks and fields offered endless hours of fun seeing things that I didn't see in my own backyard.  I'd come home and tell my folks about what I saw, what I learned and what I learned to avoid.  There were places I enjoyed so much that I couldn't wait to get back to and other places that I had seen that I knew it was no big deal if I ever went back.

As I grew older I ventured farther from home.  Whether it was on my bicycle as I approached my teenage years or in my later teens and early twenties, in a car with some buddies to Montreal, Detroit, Chicago, New York or any other place that was different from where we were at.  We'd seen the bar scene in our hometown and although Toronto is the fifth largest city in North America with lots to do, heading out to a different city to do the same type of thing we'd do on our weekends here was kinda cool.

As my buddies and I got older, had jobs and made some bread we ventured even further, now via the airlines to the Carribean, Mexico and numerous parts of Canada and the United States.  This type of exploring is starting to get kinda cool!

It wasn't long after that that I met my girl, now my Wife, and I had a new traveling partner, someone else I'd like to explore with.  We started off just like I did with my buddies, a few road trips here and there eventually working our way to bigger and better trips to visit parts of the world that we found intriguing.  We now have two children that we enjoy exploring with and plan our trips to include them and their interests.

I've always enjoyed learning about the history of the world we all live in and if I can take an opportunity to go and visit historical sights first hand, take some photos, share them with some family and friends than by all means I will.  I will not do this unless everything else is in order as in I certainly wouldn't be selling anything to go on a vacation or use my credit cards to finance the trip.  That is not how things work at our house.  We plan on another vacation towards the end of the summer that will be completely different from this one.  I'll be sure to post pics of that one also and it certainly won't be meant as braggadocio, simply sharing experiences with you folks.

I know that I've got a number of years on you which means we are at different stages in life.  Perhaps one day if you do choose to settle with the Nubian Princess, your outlook may change.  You may have children and you may want to to teach them about the world we live in and yes LA is a great start but there is a lot to see and it sure can be a lot of fun doing it with the ones you love.

Trust me - get out and see the world if you can - you won't be disappointed.   :yesnod:

You make some good points. I guess I have that attitude because most of the people I know who travel always cite some retarded reason for going there - "I'm going to Amsterdam, 'cuz you can smoke weed in public". Like there's something all that great about that. Or "I'm going to Ireland and gonna drink lots of Guinness".  I guess there just really isn't anything I'd like to see that much to go that far.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Shakey

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 16, 2007, 03:10:54 PM

You make some good points. I guess I have that attitude because most of the people I know who travel always cite some retarded reason for going there - "I'm going to Amsterdam, 'cuz you can smoke weed in public". Like there's something all that great about that. Or "I'm going to Ireland and gonna drink lots of Guinness".  I guess there just really isn't anything I'd like to see that much to go that far.

When I/we were younger, the attitude you mention with regards to your friends was similar, and there is nothing wrong with wanting to experience those things, however I wouldn't be putting myself in debt to do so.  I've always looked at traveling as a gift/reward to myself for putting in my time throughout the year at work.

Forza

Jeez Shakey, you been a busy person. Sounds like an awesome vacation, sure made me jealous. I would definatley love to visit England, Germany, & Egypt before I die. I definatley won't be getting a vacation untill I get a better position at my current job, although my boss sure seems to get plenty of vacations. He averages 1 vacation every 2 months or less.

73dodge

It's weird when I was in the Navy I did not go anywhere other than spend three years in Virginia Beach I did not stay in the Navy because I did not want to do the blue water cruise with 5000 squids on the USS nimitz, then I moved back to Ohio for work after I got out and now I travel more now than I ever did while I was in the Navy.

And apart from having to spend time away from my family I like it, I wish I would have done this while I was single and I would have had a better time.

I suggest you travel now while you can Ponch I think you will enjoy it, especially go visit other countries and you will have a greater appreciation for the US. not that the US is better than places like Canada but go spend time in some third world country and you will come back appreciating what you have. I like Canada I have my favorite places to eat in Toronto and and have figured out that Canada has WAYYYYY Better beer than we do...............

And if you go just plan to go have a good time and see things, it stinks spending a couple grand to fly to the Bahamas and then just sit on the beach for 10 hours a day.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

Ponch ®

Quote from: 73dodge on July 17, 2007, 02:38:37 PM
but go spend time in some third world country and you will come back appreciating what you have.

And if you go just plan to go have a good time and see things, it stinks spending a couple grand to fly to the Bahamas and then just sit on the beach for 10 hours a day.

Well, I spent 2 years of my childhood living in a Third World Country, so as far that goes, that's off my list. I suppose I should travel and check things out though. I just can't figure out where to go. Europe is played out and I'm not one to go around sightseeing and marveling at old buildings. Hawaii/Bahamas/Tahiti any beach type place is also not at the top of my list for the reason you already mentioned. And I don't know why ANYONE voluntarily goes to places like India or Africa.

I guess that leaves Asia and South America. Hmmm cheap gadgets and underage hookers vs. hot women and political instability...hmmm, now I have something to think about  :scratchchin:

Shakey

Quote from: Forza on July 17, 2007, 04:39:18 AM
Jeez Shakey, you been a busy person. Sounds like an awesome vacation, sure made me jealous. I would definatley love to visit England, Germany, & Egypt before I die. I definatley won't be getting a vacation untill I get a better position at my current job, although my boss sure seems to get plenty of vacations. He averages 1 vacation every 2 months or less.

Wasn't my intention to make anyone jealous - simply thought I'd share the experience and some photos.  Yes, it was busy toting around a 3 year old and an 11 month old but we all had a good time and the children travel well.  Very easy to adapt, after getting some sleep that is.  The 3 year old slept for 15.5 hours the first night and we still had to wake her up so we could see some of London our first full day there.

I too would like to see Egypt one day however the children are so young right now that I just can't picture Egypt being a great place to bring them for a holiday.

Shakey

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 17, 2007, 02:46:59 PM

Well, I spent 2 years of my childhood living in a Third World Country, so as far that goes, that's off my list. I suppose I should travel and check things out though. I just can't figure out where to go. Europe is played out and I'm not one to go around sightseeing and marveling at old buildings. Hawaii/Bahamas/Tahiti any beach type place is also not at the top of my list for the reason you already mentioned. And I don't know why ANYONE voluntarily goes to places like India or Africa.

I guess that leaves Asia and South America. Hmmm cheap gadgets and underage hookers vs. hot women and political instability...hmmm, now I have something to think about  :scratchchin:

I'd love to check out India and Africa.  In India I'd want to see the beautiful sights and learn a bit about the history of the country.  Things I wouldn't want to see would be the filthy monkeys crawling through the streets, around the poor people living in shacks on each corner as their sewage runs down the side of the road.  Perhaps these are myths but I'd be OK leaving them that way in my mind.

In Africa, book me a ticket to a game reserve in Kenya where I could take my family safely through to view the wild beasts in their natural habitat that we only see in zoos here.  You can't tell me that that would not be cool!  A friend of the family goes hunting every few years and at their cottage in Northern Ontario is a trophy room where on the wall there are the heads of numerous animals he has bagged throughout the years.

Also, you say you're not sure where to go Ponch.  I know you're a NASCAR fan, pick a track that is reasonable to get to and plan a trip.  Make it the focal point of your adventure and build on it.  I know Sears Point is not everyones favourite track but it's not that far away from SFO and you could head North a few days before the race, check out the city (which is a really nice one I might add with lots to do) and then take in the race.  I know it's not like traveling to Europe but you will have a good time and the next time you have an opportunity for a vacation you might just venture further.  There is lots to see in North America and plenty of beautiful sights to take in along the way.

73dodge

Quote from: Ponch ® on July 17, 2007, 02:46:59 PM
Quote from: 73dodge on July 17, 2007, 02:38:37 PM
but go spend time in some third world country and you will come back appreciating what you have.

Russia, Vietnam, Australia, Fiji, Italy those would top my list

I would suggest Venezuela because I have been there and I would recommend anyone to visit. but not really so much now because of that kook they have in power, Dennis Kuchinich is his name, I think, no that would be the congressman from Ohio sorry same politics different tyrant Hugo is his name. Plus you could visit Nacho and he could be your tour guide to all the hot beaches.

you can go to Columbia but you could only travel there after we raise the $3.50 ransom money the FARC would demand for your release after they kidnap you, we can raise the money at our DodgeCharger.com fund raiser car wash to free poncho from the Columbian rebels. have bunch of fat 40 year old guys running around in speedos washing cars. yea it would take about 4 weeks to raise the ransom money.

But seriously man I always wanted to see Australia, Russia or Vietnam those would be cool or even China would be cool you can visit all the factories and pick up super cheap stuff even cheaper than you can get at Walmart.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!