News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

360 engine knocking

Started by Mo Power, December 22, 2007, 04:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo Power

Ok I've posted a similar topic on here relating to a 360 I've been wanting to purchase. And I drove it and it only knocks at low rpms and when its going maybe 15 mph and above it stops. So I'm positive it would be the flywheel but is there any other causes for a engine knocking at low rpms or I mean serious issues? So I was going to put a flat head driver to the valve covers to see if theres any knocking internally. Now I thought maybe since theres no octane booster in it could be causing that also or that's what I think.
1973 Charger SE
1972 Roadrunner-1 of 34 power sunroofs                                
          Crazy colors, Wacky decals, and Massive engines
                      That's what Mopars alll about

NMike

is it a ping or a knock. a ping is detonation, timing, octane, carbon. a knock is a major bottom end problem.

Mo Power

Well its more of a knock. But what could it be if not the flywheel like you mean the crankshaft is off or something like that?
1973 Charger SE
1972 Roadrunner-1 of 34 power sunroofs                                
          Crazy colors, Wacky decals, and Massive engines
                      That's what Mopars alll about

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

69Chrgr

It's probably the flexplate to converter holes wollered out. Mine just did that previously last January. I would remove the torque converter bolts and you will see that they have ovalized the flexplate. Very common problem with stock smallblock flexplates, as they have 5/16 bolts. The fix is to replace the flex plate with the one from B&M or Indy and it will fix your problem, however you'll also need to replace the weights on the converter to accomodate this. There is nothing wrong with your engine.

y3chargerrt

How do you know the engine is good? I would not buy an engine with a knock assuming its the flexplate.

69Chrgr

You need to ask if you can have him remove a torque converter bolt.