News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What would you expect when I tear my vinyl top off?

Started by Harlow, June 13, 2007, 08:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow

I need to tear my vinyl top off (its been replaced at some point). I'm just worried that if I tear it off its going to look like CRAP and I'm not quite ready to start body work (were staying at someones house with no garage, while we shop around). So what cam I expect to see under this top? I don't think it will have any rust issues or anything like that.

- Scott

Ghoste

What would I expect to see?  Rust.  Not to sound flippant, but they didn't paint the roof of any of these cars if they were installing vinyl so between the condensation and the rain, (vinyl is just ever so slightly porous enough to allow gradual seepage) I would expect a coating of surface rust across the entire top at the very least.  I also would not be surprised if there are some crusty spots along the windows or anyplace water could sit a little longer.
I usually like the look of vinyl on these cars and I will be replacing it on my car, but I know it's going to be really really ugly in my case.

71ChallengeHer

terrible one

From the look of the rest of your car (virtually rust-free) I'd be willing to bet that you won't run into trouble when you rip the vinyl top off. Judging from pictures of your car you have posted, isn't it off in some places already? I think you'd be able to take it off and replace it (or clean the roof up and put another on) with no problems.

Charger1973

75% of the cars I have pulled a vinyl top from have had rust holes or weak spots along the front windshield area.  But then again you are in AZ and im in the midwest... 

bordin34

This,
I could feel the rust under it, the rest of the car is totally solid except the passenger side floor pans from the roof leaking from an aftermarket sunroof.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

hutch

Quote from: bordin34 on June 13, 2007, 02:16:35 PM
This,
I could feel the rust under it, the rest of the car is totally solid except the passenger side floor pans from the roof leaking from an aftermarket sunroof.

Minus the sun roof option, mine looked exactly like this when i took it off.  It had a foam pad that must of trapped water because the rust was unreal.  Deep pits and lots of the glue to hold on the foam pad.  It was all a bitch to remove. 

I sanded it with a air power wheel and 60 grit disks for about 4 hours to get it all off, then soldered all the pits with standard soft solder and flux.   then sanded it all again.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Lurker

1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.
1972 b5/b5 318 barracuda patently waiting its turn.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663667

bull

Let's see. Unfinished metal + water permeable vinyl moisture trap + any amount of water = rust. That's exactly what I would expect to see considering the way they put the tops on back then. In fact the sooner you get the vinyl off the better IMO.

Charger74

Harlow,

Since you are in AZ, I probably wouldn't expect much other than the glue.  My car spent almost it's entire life down there, I had no rust when my vinyl came off.  Only got it because I didn't keep up the primer/did the wrong type of primer to protect it and it sat outside for a long time.  IF it's going to be a while, sand the roof down and get some good primer on it.....

Harlow

alright I checked out the roof and does have some bubbly surface rust on about 1/3 of the roof (around the areas where the top was peeling up. Luckily it hasn't made it all the way through the metal as I checked under the headliner. I've got a few plans and I wanted some of your opinions.

1. Tear the top off, sand and prime along with the rest of the body. (I'm not sure how long it will be before I get new paint and the original paint does look too shabby)

2. Tear the top off, sand and prime, but put the new top on before the new paint and have to mask it off when I get it painted.

What would you do?

- Scott

Charger-Bodie

if i were you i would sand dowm just the roof for now get ALL the rust take care of paint just the roof .....dont put primer on the rest of the body untill it needs it so if someone does want to look at it to possibly buy it they know what they are looking at instead of wondering whats hiding under the primer .....i wouldnt put the new top on the car until after its painted body dust really filths up a top so it would be better to wait on that part.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Harlow

I'm not so sure I want to sell the car anymore. I think I was just feeling overwhelmed since we just moved back to AZ and were staying with family for now, and I'm out there looking at my car that has to sit out on the street with no garage to work in and a ton of work left. I drove the car all day yesterday and worked on fixing the drivers side window (the window track and power window mechanism went to hell) and put my door locks in (now I can sleep at night). It really re-sparked my interest in the car, but thats not to say if the right car comes up I won't sell the car on ebay to get the cash for it.

So Ihot68 your opinion is to sand it down and only paint the top for now? How well will the new paint blend with the old paint?

Charger1973

Quote from: Harlow on June 14, 2007, 04:43:19 PM
How well will the new paint blend with the old paint?

I wouldnt worry about that man, heck paint the top black and it will look like the vinyl was still on it from a distance.  Ive seen quite a few cars this way, doesnt look half bad. 

Harlow

Alright I'm going to look into getting the paint done or maybe I'll do it myself. I'm going to wait untill were more settled in and I have a nice space to work in. For now I'm gonna get a new windsheild. I have one quick question: for somthing like painting a part of the car temporarily can I just use a regular paint sprayer or do I need a special automotive one (or a attachment)? The reason being I already have a nice paint sprayer, would that even work?

- Scott

Charger-Bodie

Scott just mask off the car and just clean it all up good where the vinyl top would be mask it right to the moldings and put them back on if you want untill youre ready to do the rest the biggest thing here is to make sure you take care of ALL the surface rust correctly because otherwise youll seal it down and it will continue to rust get youreself a wire wheel for a drill, a mini blaster (SANDBLASTER) whatever it takes just be sure to be very thurough on that or it will haunt you later. as for a sprayer it doest reall matter how you apply it in this case just that it has been protected right.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Harlow

Yep, I've got a wire wheel, sander, sand blaster etc...Thanks for all the help, when I get ready to do the roof I'll start another thread. I may just do it in my grandmas garage (which in that case I could start tommorow) or I might try to find someone who will let me use their garage temoparily.

- Scott