News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Quick Help

Started by 73ChargerSE, June 08, 2007, 02:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73ChargerSE

Mods, I'm sorry that this is in the wrong section, but I need some quick help on my engine.  I seem to have misplaced one of my main caps for the 400 that I'm sending out.  Are all big block main caps the same?  I have a 383 and I'm wondering if I can use a main cap from that.  I'm sending my engine out today, so fast responses are appreciated.

Thanks!
Paul

RD

if you mix match main caps, you will need to align hone (or bore) your engine to true up the centerline for proper crankshaft tolerances.  Can you get away with not doing it... well, yeah, but only for a little while, then either you will develop a huge vibration or your crankshaft will crack at the journal.  I have seen such a thing happen on a 454 crank, snapped in 2 places due to #2 and #4 main cap being switched out.

A 383 and 400 main cap is the same in all tense and purpose, but again, you will have to do the above to ensure a true centerline and tolerance when reassembly begins.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander