News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Big Problem...Caliper interferance!

Started by volk68, June 04, 2007, 09:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

volk68

OK, so I posted last week about my disc brake conversion on my 68, and some of you were helpful enough to give me some advice on my spindles.  I was experiencing interferance between my swaybar linkage and my caliper.  As recommended, I swapped my spindles left for right to place the caliper at the rear of the rotor to prevent the swaybar issue.  Unfortunately, now, the caliper will hit the shock :o :o :o  Now, I haven't tightened up my torsion bars yet, and there is no weight on the spindle (obviously), but WTH???

Am I doing something wrong here?  Is there an adaptor or something I am missing?  I am starting to think I should have just left the drums on  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

is_it_EVER_done?

Do you have the steering linkage assembled? If not, you are over extending the movement of the spindle far beyond what it can do as an assembled/installed unit.

If that isn't your problem, post a pic of everything you have, because "stock" brake parts can't cause the interference you are talking about, so you may have the wrong spindles - caliper adapters - calipers - bolts - etc.

Keep in mind that you are only duplicating the install that Chrysler used on millions of cars, so if you are still having problems, post a picture.

volk68

Steering linkage is connected and I do still have this problem...I followed the swap from the Mopar Action Disc O' Tech at this link http://www.moparaction.com/tech/archive/disc-main.html.  I will try to get some pics.  Spindles are off a 76 dart.

is_it_EVER_done?

All I can say is that I have done dozens of these swaps over the years with at least an (honest) million miles on them. I have never encountered the shock interference you are describing, so without a picture, I can't offer anymore help. Sorry.

Corellian Corvette

While I can see this causing mild panic at this stage, I wouldn't worry too much about it until the car has weight on it, and you have wheels installed. Then try turning the wheels to full extension and see if you hit the shock. I suspect once everything has weight and is alligned you won't be able to extend the steering that dramatically.

Good luck!

volk68

Thanks, 'vette.  I do not have the torsion bars tightened up yet, and haven't gotten any weight on her, so I am crossing my fingers on it.  Still, good to hear some optimism  ;)

is_it_EVER_done?

Torsion bars installed or not will have no relevance on your interference problems, in fact the "proper" way to do a brake conversion would be to have the torsion bars totally unloaded, or removed so that you can move the spindle/brake assembly through it's full range of motion from the bottom stop to the top stop so you can check for interference at all levels of suspension and steering movement.

You either have some wrong parts, or somethings installed wrong. The clearance issue may appear to be gone after setting the car down with the T-bars adjusted, but it is still there, and not right, plus it's potentially dangerous! Don't fool yourself, determin the problem and fix it.

volk68

Quote from: is_it_EVER_done? on June 05, 2007, 03:47:02 PM
Torsion bars installed or not will have no relevance on your interference problems, in fact the "proper" way to do a brake conversion would be to have the torsion bars totally unloaded, or removed so that you can move the spindle/brake assembly through it's full range of motion from the bottom stop to the top stop so you can check for interference at all levels of suspension and steering movement.

You either have some wrong parts, or somethings installed wrong. The clearance issue may appear to be gone after setting the car down with the T-bars adjusted, but it is still there, and not right, plus it's potentially dangerous! Don't fool yourself, determin the problem and fix it.

The torsion bars are totally unloaded.  The parts are installed correctly, with the exception of swapping sides on the spindle.  The spindle, rotor, and caliper adaptors are from a 76 A body.  Are the caliper adaptors at fault here?

is_it_EVER_done?

Quote from: volk68 on June 05, 2007, 06:41:08 PM
  The spindle, rotor, and caliper adaptors are from a 76 A body.  Are the caliper adaptors at fault here?

OK now I know what the problem is. The A body disk spindles need to be used with the later model F,M,J,R body caliper adapters, calipers, and rotors. in either the 11" or 12" sizes depending on what size brakes you plan on using based on your wheel size.

The A body calipers are a small piston design and not suitable for a big car, and obviously cause interference problems.