News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do you adjust the doors on a 73 forward and in?

Started by WH23G3G, May 13, 2007, 07:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

As you can see in the picture, my door sticks out too much at the bottom. I tried all the adjustments listed in the 73 body manual, and it didn't change the position of the door at all. The hinges are rebuilt, with new tight pins. The door also needs to come forward towards the fender at the top. The back of the door is flush when closed with the top edge of the pillar. It doesn't drop noticably when you open it. The striker shows no abnormal wear. It came with to thin washers behind it when I took it out originally. I haven't been able to adjust this glass either, so I figured the door may need to be adjusted first. So what do I loosen or tighten in what order to get the top front of the door to move forward towards the fender and the bottom edge to move into the door opening?

moparguy01

to move the door forward you really have to take the entire door loose then slide it forward. that is take the door loose on the body side of the hinge. slide the hinges forward. I cant really tell you where else to adjust based only that pic, i'd have to see the gaps front and rear to tell you. its possible you might have to move the fender some as well. I can see the bottom of the door does have to be tilted in quite aways though.

Nacho-RT74

hinges can be or would it need to be bended, same as surface where bolts on body, some dented.... did happen to me when I installed new pins. You could get outlined pins from original point.

Beside that, the hinges lined but ON DOOR... loosing the section bolted on door and then relocating
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

WH23G3G

Can you loosen the body side door hinge bolts and set the door in the opening how it should go and then tighten up? Will that work? My problem again is that I won't have anyone to help support or push the door forward. I tried jacking up the rear of the door with a jack, but it only moved the back of the door up and didn't do anything to how flush the door is with the body. What do I do to get the door tilted in at the bottom?

Charger1973

I have tried what you are doing before with the jack because I didnt have any help that day either.  I could not get it perfect this way, but much better than it was.  Of course it was my first attempt at lining up my doors too, so it was all just trial and error.  If I was closer id come help just because I know what a pain in the ass it is.   :brickwall:

Charger1973

From the pic above though I would say you just need to loosen the bolts on your door and push it in and tighten them back up. 

400/6/PAC

I agree
I had the same problems with my doors, I loosened the bolts and readjusted.
I gotta tell you though, I had two guy's helping me and it still was a pain.
Not a fun job.
Good luck

hemihead

Did you ever think of shimming the fender out?  :rotz:  I would never, ever bend or twist a hinge.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

mopar_madman

where does the lower edge sit in relation to the rocker panel? if its even shim out the fender you can move the door in by loosening the bolts with the door shut and reaching in the fender (gotta remove the plastic skirt) also remove the striker it will be easier to adjust then replace it and fine tune the striker. and as metioned before you may have to shim the fender also you can move the top end of the fender towards the door. Remeber when aligning panels start with doors then fenders then hood and then fine tune as needed sometimes tuning with a 2x4 is needed.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Charger1973

I dont know your cars history, but is it possible the car was hit on that side and the "repair" work isnt dead on and thats why the door wont adjust in?  Just a thought.   :scratchchin:

Nacho-RT74

forget by the moments the fender, REMOVE IT COMPLETELLY... just alignt door with rocker and quarter. You need the front of door area cleared to alignt and once finished install the fender
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

WH23G3G

I haven't taken new pics yet, but I will this weekend. I did like someone said here and loosened the door hinge to door bolts pushed in on the door and tightened them up. It's a lot better most of the way down when the door is closed. Only the very front is out just a bit. Mainly I need to get the top front of the door forward so there isn't so much of a gap between the door and the top of the fender. So I think I just need to loosen the hinge to body bolts and have someone push the door forward while I tighten them. Then it should be perfect enough until I have it painted. I don't anything about how to adjust the striker. I see the hole is offset where it screws in and it moves when you tighten it, but I don't see the physics behind how it affects the door alignment. It has two thin shims behind it. Is that standard from the factory?

Charger1973

Youll need to go buy the right socket end for the striker.  I want to say its a #10 but I could be wrong.  Its got a metal plate behind it, you dont need to take it completely out just loosen it and adjust it and re-tighten it.  The shims are factory. 

Nacho-RT74

remove striker too... alignt the door without striker