News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dodge or Ford pickup?

Started by Headrope, May 20, 2007, 02:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headrope

I bleed Mopar but am having difficulty justifying the purchase of a newer Dodge truck.

Here's the deal: My first car was a '67 Dart GT, second was a '65 Dart and now I have a '66 Charger; first truck was a '78 Ram, followed by '84 Ram and now I own a '90. I love my  truck but the 5.9L gas motor which has so far been plenty just isn't enough to pull a loaded toy hauler over the mountain passes. I could build it a bit, mess around with gearing, etc. but it's a standard cab and no longer big enough for me, my wife and our 8-year-old boy who is as tall as a 10-year-old.

I absolutely love the exteriors of the newer Dodges (98 and up) but the interiors are lacking for the amount of money the trucks cost and for being as big as they are, Dodges don't have much room in back for the kid (excluding a MegaCab, which I cannot afford).

I don't want to come across as too corny but considering something other than a Dodge has me feeling kind of like I"m cheating on a girl or something, but because of the amount of money involved I have to act my age. The grownup in me is saying the better deal would be to go Ford.

I will be buying some brand of one ton, 4X4, non-standard cab diesel. I cant' be alone in this. Which way did you go and why?
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Silver R/T

If I buy dodge it would be cummins diesel. Ford would have to be at least F250 diesel also
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

Quote from: Silver R/T on May 20, 2007, 02:43:18 PM
If I buy dodge it would be cummins diesel. Ford would have to be at least F250 diesel also

Quote from: Headrope on May 20, 2007, 02:31:22 PM
I will be buying some brand of one ton, 4X4, non-standard cab diesel. I cant' be alone in this. Which way did you go and why?

:eyes:

I have a Dodge because of the Cummins but I'm not sure what I would buy if I wanted a brand new one. I don't need the space of a mega cab though so my truck holds everything I've ever needed. I'm probably in the opposite situation - I'm trading down.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Silver R/T

Local Dodge dealer is offering very good deals for our company's employees. Of course that new Tundra is interesting also but you can buy top of the line Ford superduty for much less.
I heard that ford's turbochargers weren't meant for diesel engines, of course that might be a myth.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Rack

I've got a 2005 Ford F-150 and I'm happy with it. Of course mine is a supercrew so that doesn't help you much.

The F-150 has been the #1 selling vehicle in america for the past 30 years so they must be doing something right (with that particular vehicle anyway).

Silver R/T

I like F150's also but it needs to haul trailer with a car on it at least

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Rack

Quote from: Silver R/T on May 20, 2007, 03:01:45 PM
I like F150's also but it needs to haul trailer with a car on it at least

I hauled my Charger (on a trailer) 150 miles from San Antonio (SA traffic is pretty crappy). No problems whatsoever.

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

chargerboy69

I drive a 2006 F250 diesel for my job. It has left me stranded on more than one occasion. We have had several problems with it, including the A/C at 300 miles, 2 new fuel pumps, ball joints, tie rod ends, a couple different oil leaks, brakes, wheel bearings, u joints and various other items. And the truck has just 40,000 miles on her. She seems to have the check engine light on more than off. My last for truck was a 2004 F150. The engine literally imploded at 17,000 miles. Personally for me I am not in a hurry to run down to one of my local Ford dealers and purchase a new truck. As far as the Dodges, I have never driven one. I am sure they have their share of problems too. It just depends which brand you want to spend your money on.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Silver R/T

wow, sounds like you're driving only lemons

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

pettyfan43

Well it will boil down to what you really need, I'd go with a Dodge Cummins myself, But I don't care for Ford trucks, The Dodges don't have that much room in the back seat for sure.
As far as that goes, unless you are getting a true 4 door truck, NOTHING is gonna have much more than an upholstered park bench in it. The 02 up Rams do at least have a comfy rear seat in the rear. Not perfect but not too bad.

Not sure what you want to spend but the 01 back Dodge trucks with the diesels are REALLY good tow vehicles but not real easy to find in decent shape, especially the extended cab.

chargerboy69

Quote from: Silver R/T on May 20, 2007, 04:15:47 PM
wow, sounds like you're driving only lemons

I know. . I have had the crappiest luck with our Fords.

My uncle has a V10 Ford F250 I believe, and has not had a bit of trouble with it.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Chryco Psycho

I have a Dodge Cummins , the engine is the rerason to buy the Dodge , it has better troque , Milage & will live for ever if you keep your trucks a long time like me , there are 2 or 3 problems with the Dodge that need to be fixed , the Lift pump Has to be upgraded & the torque converter if it has an auto   
mine gets 25 MPG & has over 500,000 on the odometer with all original parts on the engine

TeeWJay426

Just curious.... where did you ever get the idea that a Ford would be significantly cheaper than the equivalent Dodge? If you were to go for a one ton diesel, you're going to spend significant coin no matter what brand you choose..... ???
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

PocketThunder

Quote from: Troy on May 20, 2007, 02:47:08 PMI have a Dodge because of the Cummins but I'm not sure what I would buy if I wanted a brand new one. I don't need the space of a mega cab though so my truck holds everything I've ever needed. I'm probably in the opposite situation - I'm trading down.

Troy

Maybe Headrope would be interested in your truck..  :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bull

Buying and driving a Ford will make you feel yucky.

Troy

Quote from: Silver R/T on May 20, 2007, 02:52:17 PM
Of course that new Tundra is interesting also but you can buy top of the line Ford superduty for much less.
HUH??? Where'd you get your pricing? By the way, it's a half ton also...  :eyes:

Troy

Brock Samson

RD

Is not Dodge going to have a diesel in its 1/2 T's?  or is that out the window now that Daimler is heading into the sunset from Chrysler?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

pettyfan43

Quote from: bull on May 22, 2007, 01:44:25 PM
Buying and driving a Ford will make you feel yucky.

And a Toyota will make you feel even worse!  ;D

Troy

Quote from: RD on May 22, 2007, 03:52:50 PM
Is not Dodge going to have a diesel in its 1/2 T's?  or is that out the window now that Daimler is heading into the sunset from Chrysler?
Yes, but it's not the same engine AND Headrope specifically needs a 1 ton.

Troy

Headrope

Yep - I need a one ton.

Update: I'm really bummed, members. My wife and I have been out looking and, excluding brand new (3rd gen) pickups, the value hasn't been with Dodge so far. They are huge and look cool on the outside but have no room in back for a kid; the interiors look cheap and what's up with the white paper-looking gauge inserts?

At the same time, though, there must be a reason used Fords are for sale everywhere but few 1-ton Dodges show up ... arrrgh this is so frustrating.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

pettyfan43

I love the white faced guages in my 04 I LOVE the seats and interior in my truck as well. But to get room in the back, you will have to get a megacab.