News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 bb with an after market oil pan, 1/2" pick up tube?

Started by 73chargercali, May 21, 2007, 08:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chargercali

i was looking for a after market oil pan with additional quarts of capacity for my 73 charger with a 440 but it looked scarce. i found the milodon 7 qt 7" deep pan in Jegs catalog part# 697-30930 will this work?

second question what is needed to run a 1/2" pick up tube? i thought the pickup screwed into the pump but the after market pumps have no mention of pick up diameter? does it require any drilling and tapping?

thanks for any help i get i'm just trying to work out the little problems before i rebuild the engine.

Chryco Psycho

you can use that pan but it does hang low , I prefer the 6QT HEmi pan with baffles
the pick up is threaded into the block & to use the 1/2 " you need to drill & tap the hole in the block out to 1/2 "

73chargercali

i looked under the car and i think the stock oil pan is about 5" deep which would put the milodon pan below the k-member, i know thats bad but my car is pretty close to factory ride higth. do you know what the size is on the hemi pan (inches deep) my main concern was that i didn't want to mess with the steering center link.

is the 1/2" pick up something you would deem necessary? the car will be a 3/4 street 1/4 strip car with more strip time if i can convince my boss its work related. (joking) if you recommend it do you know the tap size, tread tapper, treads per inch?

and thanks again Cryco

moparguy01

in my experience that oil pan will not physically fit on a 73-74 charger with a BB. you need a different sump location, its too far forward by about 3/4". i still have a pan like that sitting around that i couldnt use on my car, and i had to get a factory 971 pan.

73chargercali

yeah thats what schumacher(spelling) told me when i did the swap, they told me that i needed the 971 pan but i was able to just keep the pan that came off the imperial.

in the newest mopar muscle mag near the back is an advertisment for milodon pans that says the 7" 7 qt pan will fit all B, A, and E bodies. so i figured the sump would work for the 73'.

so is there any improvment to running the 1/2" pick up, is anyone here doing so? should i just have a machine shop do this mod? do you need to enlarge the internal passageways in the block before the pump?