News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 crate engine

Started by gordo1968charger, July 05, 2007, 12:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo1968charger

where do i get a good 440 crate with decent power,tempted with a year one crate,i thought the power was a bit mild though.any ideas??got about $7000 to spend.
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Chryco Psycho

I would just have one built buy a reputable builder to the exact spec you need , even I could build you one ,
I have had no luck with Mopar stuff & there si No warranty

gordo1968charger

i was thinking of a ray barton motor,but was a little pricey at $9600,although they have a good reputation,do you know of any good builders,i m strictly bodywork,i live in england by the way,so shipping and import duty will have to  be taken into account.
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

cool440

There are some new 440 crates out there but I agree with the response about building your own

I had my 440 built and spent $6500 and with high performance aftermarket mostly Edelbrock preformer series and some fun inside we got 575hp out of her.

By building your own or having it built you control soooo much and know so much more about your baby.

Buy a block and build your own is the best and they way to get the most.
69 Charger (R/T clone), 440 (60 over bore) edelbrock performer RPM top end, balanced, nothing second rate) over 500hp, new drive train, 727 rebuild manual shift reverse valve train, TTI headers and exhaust, painless wiring, autometer phantom gauges.  My true garage resto! Very Proud of her.

tecmopar

First off, being in England, is there a GOOD machine shop near you. If so, I would go the way of building it where you are. As stated above you will have better control of whats going on. We have thrown in the towel on ANY Mopar crate motors, in the last 3 years, 4 out of 11 of them were junk right out of the crate. 2 hemis, a BB and a SB. I will say that with Ray Barton you get what you pay for, seems pricey but thats the way it is. Thats also why I never have anyone build my motors, machine work, yes, but I double check it anyway and do the assembly myself. good luck.

gordo1968charger

i ve done 90% of all the work myself,would be a big accomplishment to do the engine work as well,where would i get a good 440 block?
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs