News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Window Weights

Started by 69Coronet, May 06, 2007, 03:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Coronet

Has anyone here ever replaced the ropes for a  windows weights in an old house?
Its no disgrace being poor.  Its just inconvienient.

chargerboy69

I guess I did not know you could. I just replaced the entire window, cut the rope, and left the weight in the wall.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Neal_J

Yea, I have.  The old victorian we live in has 40+ windows.  It's pretty easy if you have a prybar, cat's paw & the ususal handtools.  You can usually replace the weights by pulling the parting bead that separates the upper/lower panes, attach a new rope to the sashes, then run the rope over the pulley and down to the weight, which is usually concealed in a weight compartment.  There's a special knot to tie to the weight.  A couple of hours, take it slow.

Peace

Neal

CharlieCharger

I saw that on this old house..it looks pretty simple..You just have find the manufacture of the window if you can and buy replacement weights and draws..If not I'm sure they have replacement parts that are generic..I saw this on this old house so this automatically makes me an expert.  :D Just playing.
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

69Coronet

well my problem is that on most of the windows in our house the weight ropes have already broken the the weights along with most of the rope is inside the wall and im stuck on how to get the 2 side boards out with out cutting them.  ill get some pics so i can show you what i mean

69Coronet

heres the boards i want to get out

69Coronet

heres where im stuck.  how do you get them out.  only way i can think of is cut them in half and then put them back in with a shim and some nails or glue