News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quick Edelbrock adjustment question?

Started by 1BAD68, May 09, 2007, 03:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

ok, I have a modified 318 with an Edelbrock 600 cfm, it runs great but I'm tweaking the carb.
I turned my mixture screws out a little more and it seems to have a little more power now but when driving at highway speeds 65-75 mph when I let off I can hear some popping in the exhaust, not much just a little. Is my setting too rich now? and should I turn the mixture screws in a bit until it goes away?

Harlow

To set the idle mixture screws on an edelbrock:

1. Start with the right side mix screw, watching your vacuum gauge keep making 1/4 turn adjustments to the right (closed), continue making these adjustments until either the engine bogs or you start to lose vacuum.
2. Now start to turn it back out, counting the number of turns, continue turning them out until the engine bogs or you lose vacuum.
3. The number of turns you counted, lets say it was 2, you will now need to turn the screw back IN 1 turn. (take half of the # of turns back out and divide it by 2)
4. Repeat this procedure for the other idle mix screw.
3. Bring the engine speed back down to where it was (It most likely went up), and do the whole procedure again.
4. Set your timing where you want it, and bring the idle speed where you want it, and do the procedure again.

This should give you a really nice base to start with, sounds like you may need to make some adjustments to the secondary circuit (metering rods/step up springs), edelbrock makes a calibration kit that comes with all combos of metering rods/jets/springs for around fifty bucks, I just bought one and will be tuning my sec. circuit this weekend. Hopefully someone will chime in with some more info. Theres a good site about tuning edelbrocks, I'll try to find it.

- Scott

1BAD68

John_Kunkel

The popping in the exhaust means an over rich idle mixture, it's dumping unburned fuel into the hot manifolds and it's popping off.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.