News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ebay guy scammed

Started by 68 CHARGER R/T, December 06, 2007, 01:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68 CHARGER R/T

terrible one

Ouch!

It's pretty scary that that could happen to ANYONE. And you're simply SOL 95% of the time, or at least it sure seems that way. It's almost like playing the lottery with all of the lousy sellers, scammers, non-paying bidders, etc.

lee

That happened to my boss he just lives north of Calgary and someone took over his account and bought expensive art and porcelin crap whats the world coming too

tecmopar

Strange that you mention it because I was talking to my A/C guy today and he told me how he just got scammed out of 11,000.00 on a GTO on Ebay. Ebay implores you to go through them so your protected, and he did but their answer was "well theres nothing we can do for you", so much for their protection. He does have the FBI looking into it but their not very optimistic about catching this PRI*K.

bull

I think Ebay needs to get over its money-grubbing self and start hiring more people to police the site, especially the big-ticket items where tens of thousands of dollars change hands. Of course there are safeguards people need to stick to on their own but Ebay could certainly do more than they have done in the past.

dukeboy_318

i think its time to close my ebay account before some guy decides to buy a 100k daytona with it  :lol:
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

Hemidoug

Pass a law and make them liable for scams...it's the only way to clean it up. I got took for 250.00 a few years ago....now I only buy off Ebay when I have no other choice.
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

histoy

I buy & sell car parts on eBay and we've had our account hijacked on 2 different occasions.   Each time eBay alerted us that someone was selling other items, such as cameras and electronic items, using our listing info.   They told us to change our password, and they took care of it from there.   We used to stay signed in to our account all the time, and that's when it got hijacked.  Now we log off every time, and no longer have the problem.

Dennis K

It's been known for years that if you choose to pay for an item via wire transfer you're on your own. It's also common knowlege that ebay and paypal don't send emails with links asking for your password. That's how scammers hijack the accounts. I feel for the guy who is out the money, but he was probably dumb enough to think he could buy a hemi superbird or something for a buy-it-now price of 20k. I agree that something needs to be done. Somewhere there is a trail that can be followed to where that money went. But saying that ebay is responsible is wrong. All they do is provide a forum to get buyers and sellers together. That's like saying that if a swap meet vendor at the Nats gets a part stolen off his display table, the people who sold him the space are responsible.

The70RT

Quote from: terrible one on December 06, 2007, 01:45:32 AM
Ouch!

It's pretty scary that that could happen to ANYONE. And you're simply SOL 95% of the time, or at least it sure seems that way. It's almost like playing the lottery with all of the lousy sellers, scammers, non-paying bidders, etc.

ANYONE?.....I don't know about that. I wouldn't give anyone money on a big ticket Item without getting it first!!!
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TripleBlackGator

I had recently listed a 68 Charger on eBay. The 10 day auction ended and I e-mailed the winning bidder in the morning. That same evening I logged back on to see if they replied and was shocked to see that every trace of the auction was gone. I got a message from eBay stating the auction was pulled because "one" of the bidders accounts was used to bid on the car without their permission. Their account was put on hold and I had to re-list the car. I'm not sure how hijacking a bidders account is profitting though.  :shruggy: I re-listed the car without any further problems.
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

RD

easy fix, on high purchase items, go through an escrow service, fraud cant happen then, and if it does, you get your money back.  eBay offers that service.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

70charger_boy

I find it very sad when things like this happen to everyday hard working people that scrimp and save to buy their dream, only to get screwed.  Turning their dreams into a nightmare.  Ebay doesn't care and I think this is a perfect time for someone who does care to make an auction site almost like a craigslist that is free and can prove seller authenticity

1FastCharger

I was just looking at a Buick GNX yesterday on EBAY. It had a BIN of 13.5K which is very low for a GNX but the car had 200K on it. I figured it was a decent price. When I clicked the BIN it asked me to log in. I was already logged in. Then I sent the seller an Email asking if he had a car for sale and his account may be hacked. Today the car is gone. I guess it was a scam.
66 A100 - 68 Charger - 69 Charger