News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

converting a steering column?

Started by Wicked72, August 12, 2012, 04:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

I have an auto column with the trans on it and I want to basically get rid of all the crap on it and replace the bell behind it with one thats if the car had a man trans. possible? and if it is where could i source the parts or fab something?
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Cooter

I have tried this before and by far it isn't for the faint of heart. Easier to just find the correct column and swap it in. Once you get thay column torn down, ALOT of little pieces that go flying and you will be pulling your hair out trying to remember how to reinstall of them. Trust me, especially on one with the switch on the column like a 1970 up. PITA!!
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

doctor4766

Quote from: Wicked72 on August 12, 2012, 04:05:09 PM
I have an auto column with the trans on it and I want to basically get rid of all the crap on it and replace the bell behind it with one thats if the car had a man trans. possible? and if it is where could i source the parts or fab something?

Due to lack of availability of a manual column, I converted my column shift the redneck way.
Removed the shifter arm
Used a hacksaw and grinder to cut off the gear indicator and the bulge where the arm went in.
I stuck some foil tape inside the column under where the shifter bulge was, then I filled in the hole with bondo, filed and sanded, then painted it all black.
No one has ever noticed my conversion and it looks fine.
Gotta love a '69

Cooter

Quote from: doctor4766 on August 12, 2012, 06:15:35 PM
Quote from: Wicked72 on August 12, 2012, 04:05:09 PM

Due to lack of availability of a manual column, I converted my column shift the redneck way.
Removed the shifter arm
Used a hacksaw and grinder to cut off the gear indicator and the bulge where the arm went in.
I stuck some foil tape inside the column under where the shifter bulge was, then I filled in the hole with bondo, filed and sanded, then painted it all black.
No one has ever noticed my conversion and it looks fine.

LOL! Me too! :2thumbs:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

doctor4766

Perhaps we need to coin the phrase "TACO"
Tight ass Charger owner.
Gotta love a '69

Cooter

Quote from: doctor4766 on August 12, 2012, 06:33:01 PM
Perhaps we need to coin the phrase "TACO"
Tight ass Charger owner.
Well, over in the original south where you are, I'd expect a column would cost around $1000.00 with all those damn fees and what not, so I call it "Re-engineering"....

doctor4766

Haha TACO Engineering.....
Has a nice ring to it
Gotta love a '69

hawkeye

i say more power to you!  anything it takes to get or keep you car on the road, without causing permanent damage, is great.  if you want to replace the steering column at a later date with the 'proper' one, no problem.  i want to drive a nice car but if you get too anal about it, you never drive it.  all you have to do is read the posts by and about dadsgrace to put it all in perspective.  sign me up as a taco.  hawkeye