News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lead Body repair?

Started by Skyview69, March 23, 2007, 03:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyview69

I was reading the Project Charger book and he does some repairs with Lead around the rear window channel.  Anyone know where to get a lead body repair kit?  Any other suggestions for repairs to this area?

moparguy01

you can buy lead repair parts at Eastwood parts. But honestly with todays fiberglass reinforce body fillers and eve nthe plastic fillers I wouldnt use lead. The health risks are too great and quite frankly, its just not worth it.

69fourspd

I agree  :iagree:
The fillers today are much better than the lead used back in the day.  When the factory would fill with lead, you can actually see waves on a joint during a hot day.  Lead will expand/contract based on temp.  I would use a high quality filler/fiberglass.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

daytonalo

Yep , stone age !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dig all the lead out of all joints and weld in a panel to stiffen it up , then use long hair filler .

moparguy01

I usually do what Daytonalo does as well. it appears he might actually know what he's doing.  :icon_smile_big:

daytonalo

Thank you , as I just learned to walk upright last year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jordyjim

i was taught using body solder, i think i would still use it on a project,but as a comercial painter i prefer glass and filler simply for speed the only probs with plastic it can shrink back, but then again 2 pack stopper solves that..jim

daytonalo

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

daytonalo

I see , I see said the blind man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skyview69

Interesting guys -thanks.  What is the best filler to use then? Brand names...where to buy etc??

jordyjim

jordyjim

2pack? hardener+filler or the paint i use alot is iysocyanate based hardener with acrylic based paint..part a and part b hence we call it 2pack..jim

jordyjim

long hair filler?  what about hairy bodge.

daytonalo

I use evercoat , but it would depend on location and exp .