News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How Much Less is It Worth (as a percentage)?

Started by RT DAVE, March 23, 2007, 02:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT DAVE

Hey Everybody,
I have a dilemna involving the potential marketability of my 68 RT.  My problem is this:  The last numbers of the fender tag do not match the rad core support but they are stamped in the trunk.  My feeling is that the core support was replaced at one time as there was obvious damage to the front end when I bought the car.  It is apparent (to me anyhow) that the trunk numbers have not been altered and that the core support was changed at one time.   Anyhow, my question is this, how much less (as a percentage) do you think my car would be worth given this fact?  The car is a nice driver, but it is not original and is not numbers matching, so its not going to be a car that somebody would buy to restore to original.   I was trying to work a deal involving my car as trade and the guy thought my car was only worth about $10K.   Does that seem right?  Thanks.
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

41husk

with out the matching radiator support i would put your car more in the 18-25K range.  Hard to tell just by pictures but I for one would give you 10k for that car and I would bet I am not alone.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

69charger2002

you are not alone. i'd give you $10,000.01 just to make you feel better about it. seriously, i don't think it matters that much. those are just verification numbers, and if there was obvious front end damage, and trunk numbers are still there, what's the big deal. it's still a legit car, not like you're passing it off as something it's not
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

694spdRT

Before selling it for that don't forget your buddy over here in SW Wisconsin.  ;D
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 69charger2002 on March 23, 2007, 02:59:35 PM
... i don't think it matters that much. those are just verification numbers, and if there was obvious front end damage, and trunk numbers are still there, what's the big deal. it's still a legit car, not like you're passing it off as something it's not
trav

Agree...On this car, probably minimal effect if all else looks good. IMHO..the 'higher level' the car, the more impact. The cars were driven and accidents happened.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

dkn1997

I am no expert, but I would say that it would hurt it a lot more if you had the numbers matching motor.  once you don't have that, I don't think the core support makes much of difference.  Not saying that it's not nice, but once it does not have that motor, I don't personally see the core support as being a big deal. 

whoever told you it's worth 10K needs to lay off the crack, though.  worth 20K on the worst day.
RECHRGED

RT DAVE

Thanks for everyone's input.  I was of the opinion that this would only hurt the car severly if it was a higher end #'s car.  I was think it probably decreases the value about 20% for a driver quality car.   Thanks again.   I kinda thought the other guy was out of line, just wasn't sure of how much.   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Mass_Mopar

the lowest-low ball for your car IMHO would be 14k, but personally I wouldn't let it go for anything under 16.  Anyone saying 10k needs to get their head out of their ass. :image_294343:
-Nick

70 Charger 500 383/833 pistol grip 3.91sg
71 New Yorker 440/Auto
04 Ram 5.7L 4x4 5spd 3.92 Auburn Posi
Old screen name MA_Young_Gun

DodgeChargerNeeded

Jeff

Mike DC

Another vote that it's not a big deal. 

If there has been obvious/known front-end damage to the car in the past, and the dash & other vins all match the rear trunk channel numbers, then I'd personally still consider it a "legit" set of numbers.

bull

Of course it's only worth $10k... if you're the one buying. :icon_smile_approve:

I'd say at most the value might drop 10% on a bad day.

Forza

Who was the guy that said your car was only worth 10k? Had to be dumb and blind. Sounds like something a dealership would say and then turn around and sell it for 20k. I would definatley agree that 16k would be a good starting bid and see where it goes from there. Sure numbers mathing/ original would be awesome and fetch some great cash but just because it isnt doesn't mean it's still not worth something. Good luck in selling, shouldn't be too hard.

I'll trade you a 03 Mustang and a nut for it  ;D 

69_500

Hold up a second. Your car is a 68 right?

I thought the numbers on the core support are the sequential number right?
I say that if the core support isn't the right one, it wouldn't hurt the value at all. No where near what a non numbers matchin motor or tranny would.

Brock Samson

yeah he's trying to get a deal.. forget that BS, worth alot more than 10,. i trust travis's opinion...

6pkrunner

As 69 said above, these cars were just transportation when new and lots of accidents happened. A rad support replacement could happen from a minor accident. If it was a real front end wahoo where the frame rails are showing obvious signs of being pulled back - well that'll hurt the coin factor. But if its just sheet metal replaced (rad core support included) then a minimal hit can be anticipated. There really are not that many mint conditioned cars out there, regardless off what the magazines may want you to believe. Most carry scars from the road wars for the last 35-40 years.

6670charger

Regardless of the numbers issue, your car in good condition today is probably worth anywhere from $18-25K.  $10K was probably right about 10 years ago, but all of these cars have spiked in value over the last 5 years.  Right now, a nice 68 driver is easily a solid $20K car on average.
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963