News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Powder coating: Convection or conventional oven?

Started by Rack, May 18, 2007, 09:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rack

Which one is typically used for powder coating? Wouldn't using a convection oven make you have to "cook" the parts for a lesser amount of time? Or are the cook times estimated with a convection oven in mind?

Dave22443

I'm not real familier with a converction type oven, but in my do-it-yourself garage, I use an old conventional oven (yard-sale).  Powder coat as its first applied, can easily be knocked off.  If a convection oven uses hot air blowing around (as I think it might) then it would likely blow off all the powder before it got a chance to melt into place.   :-\

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

moparguy01

i also use a garage sale oven. but im no suzy homemaker so i cant tel the difference between one oven to another.  :icon_smile_big:

Rack

Yeah I had a conventional oven I bought at a yard sale (double oven) but the bottom part didn't work. The top part was too small so I sold it.

Makes sense not to get a convection oven though.

What size oven do you guys use? I don't want to be just short of being able to powder coat something I really want powder coated cuz the oven is too small.

daytonalo

I have a powdercoating business , by the way I'm moving and selling all my equip , my oven is 7'h x 4' w x 3'd , it is natural gas convection , what that means , it has a circulating fan on top of oven . Anyone need more info on equip , let me know . Larry