News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Converter and Carb.

Started by 69fourspd, April 18, 2007, 09:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69fourspd

I have finished getting the engine together after swapping cams and springs per Firefighters advice, and am ready to get the converter and Carb for my 440.  The carb I have is going on another engine, so I will be in the market for the best bang for the buck.  Also, I will go with the PTC converters Firefighter recommends, just need to pick what stall and size to get. 

Thanks for the help!

Here is the setup:
69 440 .40 over
906 heads, 88cc chambers
9.5:1 speedpro pistons
rods shot peened, balanced
edelbrock performer rpm
3.91 suregrip
15 inch tires
CAM:
Advertised Duration IN/EX: 268/276
Duration @ .050 IN/EX: 226/234
Gross Valve Lift IN/EX: .494"/.513"
LSA / ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash IN/EX: Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 1800-6200

Chryco Psycho

I would be looking at an 850 CFM carb , The Holley Avenger 870 vac or 4781 DP , unfortunatly they don`t make a street HP series carb in an 850 , only 750 or 950 , the next choice would be a Proform 850 DP 

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69fourspd

Thanks guys.  Can you tell me how the proform will be for tuning?  I am pretty ameture when it comes to carb tuning, so will this be a good option to bolt up and make minor adjustments?

firefighter3931

The proform carbs are easy to tune. These have a 4 corner idle and adjustable air bleeds....but you won't have to mess with the bleeds at all for your build.  :icon_smile_cool:  The 750cfm Proform double pumper actually flows 830cfm as measured on a flowbench.....it will be plenty for your engine combo. I have the same carb on my 446 and it made more power on the dyno than a holley 850dp. The throttle response is much better due to the smaller venturis which creates increased signal to the boosters....thus making the engine more responsive.

On a build like yours it should be pretty close right out of the box ; adjust idle mixture, idle speed and float levels and that's it. The jetting should be bang on "as delivered".   :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69fourspd

That sounds great.  I will put in the order.  Thanks again everyone! I will keep you posted when I start it up the first time.