News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Reproduction Tail Panel

Started by snicker, February 21, 2007, 03:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snicker

I know I have seen it before but I am having the hardest time finding a reproduction tail panel piece for a 69 Charger. Can someone point me in the right direction?

daytonalo

Join the club !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UFO

The one I heard about is made of fibreglass.I dont know of a steel version yet,with the popularity of the 69`s I`m sure it will happen.

daytonalo

I live in n,j and pickings are slim for chargers in junk yards , although if I really needed  one , I know two yards that have 69-70 charger. Point here is look harder , call around , look and you will find a good used one . If lower rust is your issue , that is an easy fix , they make the lower new . Larry

snicker

I am not too concerned with the fiberglass version. Does anyone know someone who has used it?

miamivice

member "chargerhunter" has one on his 68 charger,  he used rivets and panel adhesive to get attach it.

Lostsheep

Quote from: snicker on February 21, 2007, 03:02:13 PM
I know I have seen it before but I am having the hardest time finding a reproduction tail panel piece for a 69 Charger. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Whats wrong with yers?

snicker

I have a big rust hole in the middle.

Lostsheep

grek

I'm no body man however just the thought of riveting a fiberglass panel to your car doesn't sound right.  Unlike welding another tail panel in place, I would think the fiberglass tail panel would shift due to body movement and ultimately crack or splinter the paint.  I too was looking for a 69 tail panel at the time my car was in the shop however I could not find one at a decent price.  I got quotes from a company(withholding name) in Georgia or Alabama where they wanted $850.00.  Way too much for me however I know the cost of these are increasing.  If you look on ebay you'll find them periodically however as I mentioned the prices are high.  This past summer I was lucky enough to meet another mopar hobbiest and we traded parts and I finally got my panel.  Good Luck.  Grek

bill440rt

:iagree:

I wouldn't use a 'glass panel, either. These are unibody cars. That tail panel ties in with the lower valence panel & rear frame rail/bumper brackets. The trunk latch brace also attaches at the top. Too much stuff going on to rely on a piece of fiberglass.

Unless it's a bolt-on part (hood, doors, etc), I'd try to find a decent used one. Why these repro companies cheap out with this stuff is saddening.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

K9COP

I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

K9COP

BTW, when I was looking for a roof panel for my car, I went through completed ebay listings for '68 Charger parts car' and contacted the winning bidder asking them if they'd consider selling the roof off the hulk they just bought, to get some money back. Seems they're ofetn bought because they have the one part still on that would be pricey on it's own. Might be worth trying that with a tail panel. Just make sure you ask them if they will sell it on Ebay, as it keeps the Ebay administrators happy. ;) Hope this helps/is appropriate.

Paul
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)