News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wing Questions..........

Started by jodaddy1, March 09, 2007, 07:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jodaddy1

Starting work on the wing for my car....  The base has me puzzled.  I have several pictures of the base (some are from you folk's cars) was the original base "stepped" like pic.1 or "smoothed and slanted side" like pic 2.    Also the cross wing if Flat on top like pic 3??   Input is appreciated.  Oh and buy the way I'm building a "steel" wing. Apologies to those who I stole pics from :icon_smile_blackeye:
Joe

daytonalo

That second pic is my hunk of shit , the base is stepped , but it a fiberglass wing that I decided not to use . Larry

Troy

That 3rd pic is a real wing and yes, the it is mostly flat on top.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

nascarxx29

The top of the center piece on the original wing.Has a casting line on it.Its a preference to leave it as it is .Or modify it .The base ends are not consistant from one wing to another.Due to random workmanship
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemigeno

Quote from: jodaddy1 on March 09, 2007, 07:38:53 AM
was the original base "stepped" like pic.1 or "smoothed and slanted side" like pic 2.   

Attached is a picture of my original wing's base, so you can perhaps see what the contours should look like.

Quote from: jodaddy1 on March 09, 2007, 07:38:53 AM
Also the cross wing if Flat on top like pic 3??   

Definitely flat as shown in that picture.  Don't forget that the wing was intended to produce downforce - so in simplistic terms, the Daytona wing is an upside down airplane wing generating negative (downforce) rather than positive lift.

In not-so-simplistic terms, it's a Clark Y airfoil with an aerodynamic surface of 3 sq. feet and a geometric aspect ratio of 7.75.   Yeah, I know... :blahblah:  I had to post that info so (Admin) Troy didn't get onto me about not answering his question a while back on the subject   :P  BTW, I think Troy missed his calling - he shoulda been an aerospace engineer, as he's done some pretty neat math calcs on what downforce values that wing configuration generates at different speeds. 

Troy

Quote from: nascarxx29 on March 09, 2007, 09:15:39 AM
The top of the center piece on the original wing.Has a casting line on it.Its a preference to leave it as it is .Or modify it .
Ha! I finally caught you making a goof... :D

That's not a casting line in wing center section - it's a mark left by the tooling when they were extruded. That right there is about the extent of my wing car knowledge. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

nascarxx29

I always refered to it as a casting line .My mistake.Heres the site I found where the wings were built .They built some outside on the sidewalk

http://wwnboa.org/motw.htm

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,3547.0.html

Then I seen where Cuda Ken also refers asking does the top of the repo wing not having the line in it.The line is what the wing people have and been calling it call for some time :yesnod: .What you defined as a extrusion mark.Thanks Troy for you observation and clarifiying that ;)

Re: Got the Aluminum DAYTONA WINGS
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 05:12:43 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pitting look's just like waht was on the OEM Daytona wing I did. Used Evercoat metal to metal to fill the pits. It is a power aluminum with a hardner. Wing is on Dr Bill Holden's Daytona as I miss spell, I did his wing and painted it.

On cleaning up the wing, I would not use a grinder or God for bid WD-40. Being a body man and painter by trade I will tell you WD-40 is evil.

With aluminum being soft I would use 80 to 120 grit on a DA, will cut a little slower than a grinder but marks will not be that deep.

Sorry to buttin again.

By the way, do the repo wings have the [[[line's on top of the ceneter wing like a OEM wing]]]. Can't see when blocked and painted but they where there. Boy I wish the old hard drive had not crashed, had some great PIC of a OEM wing.

Oh, local guy has a cream color Daytona with a white stripe here in IL. He left all the pitts in his wing. Look's l
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701