News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to set up a temporary fuel supply?

Started by whitehatspecial, February 11, 2007, 05:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitehatspecial

Quick question guys. I am looking at buying an engine but theold mechanical fuel pump seems to be bad, no fuel coming to carb. The engine will start and run for a few seconds with a blast of fuel in the carb. My question is ....if I setup a gravity fed system with a gallon gas can and a fuel line directly to the carb will that be enough pressure to run the engine for a few minutes?
I'd just like to see the engine come up to temperature and listen for any raps, etc. before I buy it. If anyone has set up something like this I'd like some advice.

Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

firefighter3931

Gravity feed will work fine....i've done it several times with success. You won't be able to run the engine wide open very long because the bowls will be sucked dry.... the fuel isn't under pressure.  ;)

On starting engines that have been sitting a long time....i fill the bowls through the vent tubes to get things primed, then run the fuel through the regular fuel line. The last one i did this way was run up for 30 minutes....no problem.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

whitehatspecial

Cars owned:

firefighter3931

You're welcome.  :thumbs:  Hopefully the engine is noise free for you !   :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

whitehatspecial

The things you do for your kids. Building a 1987 Cutlass T-top car (last year of rear wheel drive), replacing the 307 with an old school '68 olds 350 engine. At least it's still an affordable hotrod project for a 16 year old compared to most of the other cars that are out there.

Ducking for cover :popcrn:
Cars owned:

firefighter3931

Quote from: whitehatspecial on February 11, 2007, 10:56:51 PM

Ducking for cover :popcrn:

Well that would make 2 of us ducking for cover !  :lol:

I've owned 2 Olds Cutass's in the past ; the first was a 70 442 with the w-30 option (awesome car) and the second was a 69 cutlass S with a 350 2bbl. Both were excellent cars.  :yesnod:

I traded a Volare station wagon that i found abandoned and bought for $200.00 for the 69 Cutlass S  :o That Cutlass was a true "Grandma" car and only had 29 k miles on the clock.  :icon_smile_cool:

I'm sure the boy will be happy with the new project....at least it's not an Import.  :2thumbs:

Good luck with it !  :cheers:

Ron

Big Lebowski

I always use a small plastic gas can with a elec. fuel pump. With the clips on the battery, and the gas can in front of the radiator, you can drive a car with gas tank/fuel pump problems. :icon_smile_big:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

OttawaCharger

I started my 68 that way after it had been sitting for at least 10 years.
My fuel pump was dead too so for a temporary fuel tank, I used an old rototiller gas tank hanging from the hood.
You might want to lube up the carb with some penetrant a day or two before.  my accelerator pump was seized.
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

whitehatspecial

Here's a couple pictures of our set-up. We used a Craftsman tank from a mower, an inline shut-off, and 5/16" line directly to the inlet of the quadrajet carb.
After a few adjustments to the "tank" the fuel was flowing. That 350 Olds engine came alive, fired up and ran strong. The choke even worked! 
I only wish vintage Mopar engines were as inexpensive as this Olds was to our new project.

Thanks for the advice.

:cheers:
Cars owned:

OttawaCharger

Glad to hear that it worked out.    :icon_smile_cool: I've always liked the old Oldsmobiles.
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!