News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Technical TransGo TF-2 Kit Install Questions...Kit Installed WOW!!!

Started by Mfr426, February 04, 2007, 03:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hello all, I'm guessing that someone on this forum has installed this kit in their 727 and can help with two questions.

First, the kit says that the transmission does not have to be removed to install this kit. However, step #7 has you removing the L/R piston to install a spacer and a new long, plain spring. The problem is to remove that piston requires you to remove rear band adjuster arm. That arm pivots on a pin that can only come out from the back of the trans with the extension tail removed from the main trans body. Since that tail section holds the trans mount and the trans to the body, you basically have to break apart the trans to put this spacer and spring in? How can that be? They don't mention anywhere in the directions about removing the tail shaft to get at that pivot arm to drop the piston????? It's odd that they say all over that this kit does not require the trans to be removed from the car. In reality, if I am correct, you need to separate the tail shaft from the main trans body? That would be much simiplier if the trans is removed.

Second, they have you grind down the stem end of the TV valve and then install a new spring for the throttle pressure plunger. Normally you need to adjust the throttle pressure setting after you do a trans rebuild but, since you have ground down the stem the stock measurement for the setting for the pressure is no longer valid (the plunger now goes all the way in and does not stop allowing you to use the old adjustment)? After you install this kit do you NOT have to adjust the throttle pressure setting?

These two items had my buddy and I stumped. He's done several trans rebuilds but never a shift kit (I know, that makes no sense to me either). Can anyone shed some light on this situation? Thanks for all the help.

Mike R in Reading PA

John_Kunkel

The rear servo can be opened without removing the lever pivot shaft. Loosen the adjuster stud enough to pry out the link bar (flat piece of 1/8" thick steel about an inch square) between the lever and the band, this will allow the lever to hang free. When reassembling the servo the new spring is very stiff and will be difficult to compress enough to install the snap ring. I use a small bottle jack and socket to push the spring and retainer up into place and hold it there while installing the snap ring.

Working the flat link bar back into place is a little tricky but it can be done.

The instructions have a different way to set the TV, instead of setting it with the valve bottomed they have you set the relaxed clearance between the valve tip and cam at 1/8".

I think you need to slow down and read the instructions thoroughly.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mfr426

Hey John, thanks for the advice. It's very helpful and exactly what I need.

I have to tell you that I read these instructions over a period of a few days before I even thought about starting the job. I'm as anal as they get. There is nothing in the instructions about adjusting that TV? We went over and over the few pages and can not find anything relating to post modification adjustment. The copyright of this 7 page instruction booklet is 2004 so perhaps there is a newer (or older) version that has that info? Regardless, thanks for the info.

The hint on the link bar is fantastic. Never thought of that one. I wish they would have had a comment in the instuctions about popping that out to swing the lever down?

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to post this response. I'm calling them tomorrow to ask them why this critical info is not included in their instruction booklet.

Mike Robertst

Mfr426

Well I called Transgo this AM and sure enough the measurement for the TV is not listed anywhere in their instructions. I asked the tech if he could email me any more current instructions or ones that had more information and his comment was "well, I could but it would only confuse you more". I thought "what the hell does that mean".

The bottom line is that John you are correct in your answers and that the 7 page instruction sheet is missing some key information.

I'm just glad that I can get that spring and spacer in without taking out that tail shaft.

Mike R 

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Mfr426 on February 04, 2007, 05:45:52 PM
Hey John, thanks for the advice. It's very helpful and exactly what I need.

I have to tell you that I read these instructions over a period of a few days before I even thought about starting the job. I'm as anal as they get. There is nothing in the instructions about adjusting that TV? We went over and over the few pages and can not find anything relating to post modification adjustment. The copyright of this 7 page instruction booklet is 2004 so perhaps there is a newer (or older) version that has that info? Regardless, thanks for the info.

Well, that explains it, the TF-2 sheet I have is 15 pages and dated 1990 even though the kit is only about two years old. I can't understand why they would take a step backwards on the instructions.

The enclosed pic shows the rear band link and what the linkage looks like.

Here is a link to TCI instructions which will show the servo mods:

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Instructions/instructions/220000_inst.htm
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mfr426

Mfr426

I just took the 69 out with the new transgo kit installed. HOLY LOAD what a difference! Firm but reasonable shifts and good manners for routine driving. Very nice "chirp" into second and not so mushy performance.

Thanks for the help John. My advice for anyone doing this themselves is to make sure you get the most detailed instructions that you can (see the post above).

Stroker kit 512 is in the works now!!!

Mike R in Reading PA