News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

casting numbers ? for block and heads are these 906's

Started by Doright, February 12, 2007, 08:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doright

Just wondering if this set of heads I got on that 383 were 906 heads or not.

Head casting numbers
RT head 2843906-8
09157 cast date???

LH head 28439062    no dash before the 2
09277? cast date????

Block is  D383   10   6   2   on the pad
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

mikepmcs

I don't know if this will help but the second link gives CC information so that might help a little if the heads were different.

http://www.mopar1.us/headcastnumber.html

http://www.mopar1.us/bigblock.html

I do believe after checking some articles that these are 906 heads.

I would also guess the 906 on the end of the part number is why they refer to them as 906's.  And that isn't a smarty pants response, i just started looking at some articles and noticed 452 had 452 in the part number and so on.  Hope it helps.

v/r
Mike

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

hemigeno

The "cast date" numbers you posted do not correspond to any date code format that I have seen.  They are definitely 906 heads though, which were used on 68-70 383s & 440s.

My 906 heads were dated 5-4-9, meaning May 4th, 1969.  Here is a pic of where my date code was found:

**EDIT**  What a dunce...  I totally overlooked how your date code should be read.  Your heads were cast on 9/15/67 and 9/27/67 respectively, which would coincide perfectly with the engine assembly date.  Sorry for the screwup, my bad... [/edit]

hemigeno

Oh, and the "-8" and "2" after the 906 part number essentially refer to how many times that particular casting mold was rebuilt.  There isn't any significance to that number for us whatsoever.

As far as your block stamping #s go, you have a 1968 383 2bbl (non-HP) block, assembled on October 6th, 1967.  The "2" after the assembly date only means that it was assembled on the second shift.

:cheers:

Doright

Cool thanks for the info :icon_smile_big:

I snaged a set of 906's with that charger buy the looks of the heads I would say they have never been off the engine wich means they need seats  :-\ 
I am not real big for spending big money on an old set of heads though so I may let them go with the 383, I dont know yet.

How much you think the short block is worth?
How about as a Long block?
Probably worth more to some one with a 67- 68 car than it is to me   
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more