News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Strength of .060 turned down 440 crank?

Started by timinator, February 02, 2007, 03:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timinator

I purchased a 69 Charger with a 440. The previous owner said it had a bad bearing and the crank had been turned down .060". Apparently the machine shop told him not to abuse it too much since it was much weaker now. I wanted to swap to a different cam which would put this engine into the 425 hp range. My concern is if the crank will hold together. Anyone have any experience with a 440 crank turned down to this size and how much HP they can take?

John_Kunkel

The main journals  on 440 cranks are routinely turned down .125" for use in B blocks and the rod journals are routinely turned down .175" for use with Chevy rods and many are running at a lot more than 425 hp.

I would be more concerned about where to find .060" undersized bearings.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

firefighter3931

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 02, 2007, 05:04:03 PM

The main journals  on 440 cranks are routinely turned down .125" for use in B blocks and the rod journals are routinely turned down .175" for use with Chevy rods and many are running at a lot more than 425 hp.

I would be more concerned about where to find .060" undersized bearings.

:iagree: The crank is plenty strong. Finding a .060 bearing will be a problem though. Most shops draw the line at .030  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

or .040 max
could sell the crank for a 451 stroker project & just buy a new crank from 440 Source