News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone else sell Cosmoline?

Started by hemi68charger, January 26, 2007, 02:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang...
Anyone sell Cosmoline? I emailed Gary over at Dayclona and the winter time isn't the best time of the year to ship aerosol cans of cosmoline because it freezes or goes bad..... Spray-on would be the best for my lower control arm bushings/rods are already installed.......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

resq302

troy,

Eastwood sells something called Heavy Duty Rust inhibitor (not to sure on the inhibitor part) but it is exactly the same stuff as the Cosmoline in a spray can form.  Only downfall is that cosmoline stuff becomes sticky and attracts all the dirt to it.

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

BrianShaughnessy

Cosmoline starts melting at 135 F.   Originality is fine and dandy to an extent but there is probably a better / more permanent solution.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

hemi68charger

Quote from: resq302 on January 27, 2007, 03:22:19 AM
troy,

Eastwood sells something called Heavy Duty Rust inhibitor (not to sure on the inhibitor part) but it is exactly the same stuff as the Cosmoline in a spray can form.  Only downfall is that cosmoline stuff becomes sticky and attracts all the dirt to it.

Brian

That's true.. I was going to experiment and apply a coat of clear afterwards... Hopefully I'm thinking it'll retain it's "OEM" look but with hard cleanable surface......

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

resq302

Troy, what I did was use a satin clear over it and let it dry for a couple days.  The satin clear seems to dry on the cosmoline and prevent the stickiness.  Just to warn you though, the cosmoline takes forever to dry so be careful touching it after a couple days of letting the satin clear dry.  I had to jack up my charger when I had the lift accident and it left a mark on the bottom part of the lower control arm.  Not bad but you can tell if you look close.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

hemi68charger

Quote from: resq302 on January 27, 2007, 09:41:21 AM
Troy, what I did was use a satin clear over it and let it dry for a couple days.  The satin clear seems to dry on the cosmoline and prevent the stickiness.  Just to warn you though, the cosmoline takes forever to dry so be careful touching it after a couple days of letting the satin clear dry.  I had to jack up my charger when I had the lift accident and it left a mark on the bottom part of the lower control arm.  Not bad but you can tell if you look close.

Thanks Buddy for the head's up... Two minds thinking the same..   :thumbs:

Luckily, the suspension isn't together, so I'll do this prior to assembly.........

Troy
Troy