News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will interior dye hold up on metal ........

Started by bandit67, January 18, 2007, 04:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit67

Hi Gang, I just bought a quart of SEM dye and redyed the plastic doors panels and trim parts in my 72. The rear window trim , defrost vent were metal, so I shot them also. The results were perfect. They match in color  and the flatness of the shine is just like the original lacquer.  The car prollly never will be parked out in the weather as its normal spot, question is , will the dye hold up on metal?  I did not sand off the original finish on these parts, just cleaned and shot.   I  was so impressed , I was thinking of shooting the metal parts of the dash.    thanks ....J

mopar_madman

I would contact SEM and ask them. They would be the best ones to ask, if for any reason you try it on the metal and it peels your gonna have big mess to redo.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

bull

It might hold up but it's not designed for metal. You'd probably be better off using paint, I'm sure it will last a lot longer.

moparguy01

SEM usually has trim PAINT that will hold up and look like the dye.

bandit67

I will check with SEM.l The dye is so thin that it did not fill in the "embossed texture" of the metal trim ; and I think that is why it looks so good. But you all make so good points.......I was not made for that. .....thanks , John

65post

I have used it on int. metal trim and had no problems.Just make sure the parts are free of any Silicon based int.cleaners.( Armer all ) and so on.And be sure to get rid of any surface rust and top coat with a good primer.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.