News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear end install--what's wrong?

Started by Brian in GA, September 12, 2007, 11:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian in GA

Ok, here's the story.  The 68 R/T body I bought was missing the rear end chunk and both axles.  I bought a 3.23 sure grip 489 case, and also two 8 3/4 axles at a swap meet.  I test fitted them last weekend, before I bought and installed new bearings/seals. 

Here's the problem:  The axles don't slide into the chunk until I get to the actual step of tightening them down.  It's like they're only seating an inch or so on each side.  This didn't seem right to me.  I'm no mechanic by a long shot, but I do use a 68 shop manual to help me along.  I figured maybe the axles were too short.  So, I took an axle from another 68 project, and they were the same length! 

So, maybe the center chunk isn't wide enough?  If I understand right, the 489 case didn't come about until after model year 1968.  Is it "narrower" than what originally came in my R/T?  I don't know how to proceed, so any help would be appreciated.  I can post pics, if necessary.  When I removed the axle from the other project 68, it actually fit in the splines, then slid another couple inches until you tightened it.  The R/T doesn't fit into the grooves until it is actually at the tightening point.  Maybe the housing is too long?  Although it appears to be original. 

Any advice is appreciated.   :brickwall:

Steve P.

I am a bit confused. (Nothing new there)...  Does one side fit in correctly and not the other or are both not going in properly??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Brian in GA

Steve, it's both.  I thought for sure when I did the test fit that my axles were too short, but I pulled one from another 68 charger and they were the same length. 

They both will fit in and seat, but only after I tighten them down.  I feel like I've got an extra inch or so left on both sides.  I hope this makes sense.  I'm learning as I go here.   :shruggy:

John_Kunkel

I, too, don't understand the problem.

The actual spline engagement on each axle is about 1 1/4", if the bearing retainers fit against the backing plates when the nuts are tightened and the end play can be adjusted correctly, everything else is irrelevant.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AKcharger

Yeah, as long as the axles install smoothly and the flanges bolt down your fine (don't forget the adjust ment on the passanger side axle!)

Brian in GA

John

Then maybe I don't have a problem like I thought.   Is the axle NOT supposed to butt up to the inside of the chunk?  If that's the case, then I'm fine.

Once I tighten it down, turning either axle will in turn cause the shaft to turn.  I thought it should engage BEFORE sliding it in quite that far.  Did you read what I just said?  :laugh:  Yes, I'm still talking about axles here. 

So, if it is only supposed to be seated 1 to 1 1/4 inches, I think I'm alright.  I figured if it wasn't flush to the inside of the chunk it would strip the splines under pressure. 

Let me know what you think.  No wonder I can't figure out what's wrong, if the damn thing is going in right!
Man, have I got a lot to learn.    :slap:

tecmopar

I hope I'm gonna explain this right, I've done so many but trying to put it to words seems difficult, so here goes. The splines on the axle will start to go into the chunk when the retainer plate is about 1/4" to 1/2" away from the studs, otherwise it would be a pain to line them up right, into the center. Do this by feel so when you think the axle splines are just starting to go into the center, try giving it a slight turn, if you feel a little resistance then you know it is in there and the rest is the correct amount, about 1 to 1 1/4". If your still not sure and you say the other '68 axles are the same, just measure the 2 housings to be sure they are the same, good luck.

P.S. Don't do the in and out too many times because you'll end up nicking the seal.

Brian in GA

Thanks, guys.  I appreciate the advice.  I'm going to put in the new seals and bearings this weekend, and see how it goes. 

It makes me feel a LOT better about my fitment now.

Have a great day and thanks again for the help!  :2thumbs: