News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone have a Carfax account that I can run a VIN through?

Started by bull, January 09, 2007, 10:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I hate to spend $20 or whatever to run just one VIN but we've got a bead on an '03 Durango and I want to be sure it wasn't in Nawlens under eight feet of water or used in an LA freeway police chase or something before I buy it. Anyone? Help. Please. :-\

TruckDriver

Don't trust car fax. I work with a guy who bought a '05 Trailblazer at a car dealer. They ran the serial through car fax and it cam back clean. But one day about 2 weeks after buying the truck, he noticed weld spray on the back driver side door. So he took it back, they told him that it showed the truck as clear on any damage. I guess, they even ran it a second time. Any way, after leaving there, he decided to take it to a body shop, where they found that it had about $4,000. in repairs that had been done to it. I saw it too for myself where the tailgate had been repainted and the welding spray on the side window and the rear hatch window. Long story short, if no one reports any damage to car fax, it does not go into their computer systems. This is another reason there is big money in buying and fixing cars and trucks t hat were totalled out. It you can do all the repairs yourself, and not a major body shop, you don't have to report the repairs or damage that the vehicle had. Needless to say, look out for small dealers that sell newer cars/trucks. And like the guy I work with said, from now on, if he buys anything newer, he will automatically take it to a body shop, and have them look for any previous damage.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bull

andy74

got your pm, there is one open recal,number- f42,its for an unused wiring harness(?),and the powertrain warranty is good until november 23,2009 or 70,000miles.doesnt appear to have been in any accidents,as there are no parts claims from dcx,and the other recalls were done,ball joints and seat belts-also was a private owner,bought new at reedman dodge,in langhorne pa.Hope that helps!

bull

Quote from: andy74 on January 10, 2007, 08:55:34 AM
got your pm, there is one open recal,number- f42,its for an unused wiring harness(?),and the powertrain warranty is good until november 23,2009 or 70,000miles.doesnt appear to have been in any accidents,as there are no parts claims from dcx,and the other recalls were done,ball joints and seat belts-also was a private owner,bought new at reedman dodge,in langhorne pa.Hope that helps!

Yes it does help! Thanks a bunch, Andy. Looks like it might be a good one (I hope). I like seeing that it came from a private owner, at least recently.

What do you mean by "no parts claims from DCX?" Does that mean no one ordered any official Mopar parts for repairs?

andy74

Quote from: bull on January 10, 2007, 12:56:31 PM

Yes it does help! Thanks a bunch, Andy. Looks like it might be a good one (I hope). I like seeing that it came from a private owner, at least recently.

What do you mean by "no parts claims from DCX?" Does that mean no one ordered any official Mopar parts for repairs?
yep,no parts except the recalls,and normal lof stuff

bull

Quote from: andy74 on January 10, 2007, 01:57:28 PM
Quote from: bull on January 10, 2007, 12:56:31 PM

yep,no parts except the recalls,and normal lof stuff

All right. Unless it all falls to pieces I guess I'll have the seller send the purchase order off and I'll post some pictures of my '03 Durango a little later.

andy74

cool!im sure youll like it, im driving an 03 grand cherokee now,but had an 03 durango for a few weeks,i like them better than the new style,so the boss lets me drive em!

bull

Yea, the '04 and up Durangos look like a T&C had a baby with a Cobalt or something.

I kept trying to like the Grand Cherokees but they're just too small for me. I drove one yesterday and I couldn't get the seat down to where my eyes weren't level with the top of the windshield. Every time I test drive something I tried to imagine going the 350 miles to Eastern Oregon once or twice a year and in the Cherokees I drove I couldn't imagine going across town.