News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

them new victor heads??

Started by hard-charger, December 28, 2006, 04:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hard-charger

i was reading the new mopar muscle, and seen the results of the dyno challange.
couple of those engines had them new victor heads, and were posting some big numbers on the dyno. horsepower and toque.
looks pretty nice!
does anyone have any idea what those heads would do on a 446 rb?
ya, those engines in the contest were 500ci strokers.  but i was wondering how they would fend on 440? im not looking for those 740+ hp numbers, but more than a 550 hp number with my 446.
i was doing some chistmas shoping and found a set of ported RPM heads for around $2,000.  then found a set of victors in the hughs site for alittle less.  but they do need the offset exh. so thats a cost, but i dont know?
just wondering........
:stirthepot:

firefighter3931

The Victor's look like an excellent head. The offset intake rocker will be an issue when selecting rocker arms though.  :yesnod: Chryco is putting together a build for one of his customers using the Victors and plans to dyno the engine when it's all together. Hopefully we'll have some good data soon on what these heads are capable of.  ;D

Fwiw, my ported RPM's made 560hp on the dyno with 10.5:1 compression and a healthy solid cam @ 446 cubes. The Victors have more potential, inmo.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

is_it_EVER_done?

I haven't actually seen a set of Victors yet so any concerns I have may be baseless, but I'm not sure of what niche they are supposed to fill, and wonder if they have any real place in the market?

Don't get me wrong, I applaud ANY new products for these old cars, but given the fact that the Victors have raised intake ports makes me wonder if the already critical hood clearance, that is always a problem, is going to require a scoop or hole in the hood, and offset rockers are not cheap.

It seems as though the Indy 440-1's already provide great performance, with a better combustion chamber, at the cost of the hassle of hood clearance, offset rockers, etc., so a standard port (non max wedge) head with all the hassles of the Indys, sure better provide amazing flow and velocity or else I just can't see the need/market.

If the MP stage VI's had any quality controll, they would be the head to beat as they will flow into the 370's, have an excellent combustion chamber, etc., but the expense to fix all the problems is usually prohibitive. And the Indy EZ's are proving to be an amazingly good head for a standard port size/location, as are the RPM's.

Were the RPM's you checked on the CNC'd ones offered by Modern Cylinder? If so, they are by far and away the best choice for a street or bracket car and offer the best performance per dollar over anything available currently, while keeping everything under the hood.

Hopfully the Victors will prove my concerns wrong, but what we need far more than another head is a line of manifolds (standard and max wedge ports, single and dual plane) that are designed to flow as well as possible, while being low profile enough to work with an uncut hood. That's the product that would be the most usefull for all of us.

Challenger340

The Victors look like a winner, that said, I understand "is_it_EVER_done"'s point. There's already a myriad of good heads out there, but, I couldn't agree more, with the lack of good low profile manifolds, for the big wedges low valve angle.

700 hp engines are becoming "childsplay" with the head availability, but doing so WITHOUT a "mailbox" on your stock hood is difficult.

EXCELLENT point "is_it_EVER_done", what's really lacking is some intake R & D.

ps; I'd really like to play with an old  STR14 these days, with some of the stroker inchs today, and increased head capabilities. They were good in their day if we ran the snot out of the 440 inch motors.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

The Indy Dual plane is an excellent low profile intake manifold and moves a ton of air. Dulcich did some grinding on one of those and got some big flow numbers on the bench.....the much taller Victor wasn't even close. The ICH dp can even be opened up to a max wedge intake port window.  ;D

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

So far the Victors have been great  ::)
Eddys parts don`t even fit the Eddy heads ,everything is custom .....typicall Eddy bolt on stuff...... nothing close to bolt on though 
I am working through the problems 1 at a time

Challenger340

I think it would be interesting, to see a comparison of costs, associated, with totals incurred, parts & labor, to use the EDDY Victors ?

Might a good "kick in the rear" for INDY !
Only wimps wear Bowties !