News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Candy Paint

Started by 69-DodgeCharger, December 20, 2006, 07:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69-DodgeCharger

Does anyone have a rough estimate of how much it would be do get candy paint on a 69, just a range would be nice if youre not too certain. Someone was telling me around 8K

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Brock Samson

a pita translusent color that needs an undercoat usually of gold or silver and has the final color sprayed over so the base color shows through.. very difficult to do and pretty much impossible to match if damaged.
  candy apple red is the most popular shade though right now i'm likin candy tangerine for my road runner rebop.
a custom color, difficult and expensive but mouth watering...

Lord Warlock

Had an estimate to do my stealth in Kandy blue for 3500 about 5-6 years ago.  8k from a good shop doesn't sound unreasonable, especially since it involves two different layers (silver or gold base+kandy)  If you can paint yourself, the kandy itself really isn't expensive to buy.  House of Kolor makes both Kandy basecoats as well as Kandy tints to mix with intercoat clears or clearcoats.  I painted oriental blue kandy flames (over metallic silver basecoat) on the stealth (although they are going to come off in the future and go back to stock) and it wasn't hard to spray but in order to get a consistent blended color, involves alot of effort and practice.  The color is transparent on the stuff i used.  I haven't tried the Kandy basecoats.  Wouldn't hurt to read up on House of Kolor paints, but there are plenty of other candy colored paints to buy from.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

hemi-hampton

You have 2 types of Candies nowadays. The older style Candy that always went over a Silver or Gold base, Or what they call the New Candies on these new cars known as Idiot Proof Candies. Idiot proof because they go over a similar colored base as the candy, For example a Red metallic base under the candy red, or blue metallic base under candy blue, Doing it this way makes it much easier to spray with less chance of Zebra stripping, blotching, mottling hence the name Idiot proof. Also easier to spot/repair. Also the smaller & flatter the panel the easier to spray, Larger rounder Vehicles get much tougher to spray with a real candy. Smaller flames are easy compared to a whole large Vehicle. I'll spray your car for $8,000, Bring it to Detroit. LEON.

Drop Top

In my shop I have painted many candys. House of color makes many more base colors then silver and gold. They have about 10 or 12 differant colors of base and about the same of the trnaparent Kandy that goes over the base. A true kandy done by someone that knows how to shoot will be one of the best looking paint jobs around. I shot a 69 RR and it took me a total of 12 hrs of shoot time. Then of corse it needs to be color sanded and buffed That was another 10hrs. HOK only sells the paints in qts. Each color is a differant price depending on color. The prices range from $40 to $85 a qt. Hardner for the Kandy is about $30 a qt. To do a compleat car your going to need at least 1 1/2 gals of each color 1 qt of hardner for every 2 qts of color the same amount of reducer at about $27 a galon and then the clear to go over that. The amount of clear would be 2 gals. The price of a gal of HOK UC-35 clear runs me about $150 per Gal. with the hardner and reducer.The reds are always more expencive. $8000 is not far off. Thats after the body work is done. On a Kandy job the body has to be perfict on the imperfections will pop out at you like a big red/white zit on your nose.

69-DodgeCharger

say thanks for the info, never knew about how they did that

BigBlockSam

hey mister
candy paints look great but they are a big pain in the ass . there a bitch to spray correctly . lotsa money  :yesnod:
if you ever have an accident, you'll never match it correctly again . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img